• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Canning Mustard

It's normally my better half that decides what she wants to can and put away for the winter. Well, I decided I wanted to give canning some whole grain mustard a shot. So I found a couple recipe's and just started soaking the mustard seeds, I will probably spice up some of the beer mustard with some Habanero or Jalapeno.

Ghost%20owl%202.jpeg
[/URL][/img]
Ghost Owl Whiskey

Ghost Owl Honey Mustard

Yield: 5-1/2 pints

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds

• 1/2 cup brown mustard seeds

• 3 tsp sea/pickling salt

• 1 cups water

• 1 cup Ghost Owl Whisky ( Whiskey or Bourbon of your choice)

• 1 cup apple cider vinegar

• 10 Tbsp honey

Instructions

1. In a medium-size bowl combine mustard seeds, bourbon, and vinegar. Cover and let set for 8 to 24 hours until all liquid has been absorbed by seeds.

2. Add soaked mustard seeds to a food processor/ blender/or process with an immersion blender until seeds are chopped and desired consistency is reached (you might want to add a bit of water to help liquify).

3. Add mustard mixture to a medium-size, non-reactive pot. Add the honey, salt, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.

4. Pour mustard into hot prepared jars, wipe rims, apply lids, and rings (finger tight), then process in a covered hot-water bath for 10 minutes. Turn of heat, let set for an additional 5 minutes.

5. Remove jars from canner and let cool on a folded towel for 12 hours.

mac%20n%20jack.jpeg
[/URL][/img]
Mac & Jack's African Amber

Yield: 3 half pints

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup brown mustard seeds

• 1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds

• 1/2 Mac & Jack's African Amber  (beer of your choice)

• 1 cup apple cider vinegar

• 1-1/2 tsp salt

• 4 Tbsp honey or light brown sugar

• 1-1/2 cup water

•  

Instructions

1. In a medium-size bowl combine mustard seeds, beer, and vinegar. Cover and let set for 8 to 24 hours until all liquid has been absorbed by seeds.

2. Add soaked mustard seeds to a food processor/ blender and process until seeds are chopped and desired consistency is reached (you might want to add a bit of water to help liquify).

3. Add mustard mixture to a medium-size, non-reactive pot. Add the honey, salt, and water. Bring to a boil, simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.

4. Pour mustard into hot prepared jars, wipe rims, apply lids, and rings (finger tight), then process in a covered hot-water bath for 10 minutes. Turn of heat, let set for an additional 5 minutes.

5. Remove jars from canner and let cool on a folded towel for 12 hours.

Mmmm, sounds goood!!!

I'm assuming these are currently in the soaking stage and further pics will be posted when processed?????

SL

Here is the finished product, I added some roasted Jalapenos to the beer mustard when I processed the seed in the food processer. They both taste great to me, but from what I have read and been told they can be a little bitter until they mellow a couple of weeks.

ghost%20owl%20honey.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Ghost Owl Honey Mustard

macnjack%20brownsugar.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Mac & Jack's beer mustard

Back