food Canning, Pickles, and hot peppers. Anyone else?

Lots of folk here cook with hot peppers.  Many make hot sauces.  I am wondering if there are many folk who do home canning, pickles, relishes, and other shelf stable things other than hot sauce. I do both pressure canning and water bath, but favor pressure canning unless it is something like pickles where i do not want to destroy too much texture.

When it comes to things like pasta sauce, I tend to simmer down tomato to an almost paste and can without flavoring the sauce.  That way it can be used to serve different people with different tastes.  Son only likes pizza sauce, daughter likes some spice but not a lot, wife doesn't like much at all.

Was thinking about it because I am about to crack open some of the hot pepper dills I put up last fall.

Yup, I pressure can just about everything except tomato sauce.  It's safer, faster and heats up the kitchen less too.  Last batch was Jalapeno pepper rings and whole peppers.  Up on deck is pepperoncini when my plants start producing enough to make it worth doing.

WCB

We can a lot because our electricity has been known to go out for weeks at a time.  If there is a really big storm, since we are so remote we are at the bottom of the fix it list.  Always worry about being dependent on the freezer.

Hybrid - Cool happy mistake because maybe you can give me some hints.  I have the exact opposite challenge.  I can water bath with vinegar and that pickle crisp stuff, then they retain some texture but taste like vinegar.  If I pressure can them in water with salt, then they loose all texture.  We grow n stow much if not most of our food.  In the winter, I use the pressure canned peppers as a base for tvp to make veggie burrito, but I'd really like something more like fajitta and I hate depending on frozen stuff because electricity is not allways a given here.

Salsalady, love the extension office / university recipes.  Would you happen to know one that does not involve vinegar?  I like pickled peppers on pizza, but when you are making Fajita they just don't cut it.  Problem is pressure canning makes them mush.

not really.  For fajitas, since the veggies are flash sauteed, I'd just use fresh jalapenos or serranos with the bells and onions.  Those are available year round at our local store.  In other more populated areas, the stores carry habaneros year round.

Salsalady, we buy very little produce from the grocery.  So I am going to translate what you said to: Eat seasonally or freeze.  Canning does have its limits. 

Back