• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Canning whole tomatoes

It is 8:31. The goal is to have 14 quarts of whole tomatoes preserved by 10:00. The water has been on the stove for three minutes, awaiting it to start boiling, and a bunch of tomatoes are soaking in water, hopefully coming clean. I'm using one pressure canner and two cookers to heat the tomatoes.

Details and times to follow!

Mike

9:04

The water in the pressure cookers is boiling, maybe half of the 22 pounds of de-cored maters are in boiling water. Fourteen quarts should equal seven pounds but I don't think this holds true in this exercise.

Mike

I give up and surrender. I couldn't start putting them into jars until 9:20. What I need is a cauldron, preferably about 100 gallons that sets over a huge, roaring fire. If I try to hurry the process, it takes a lot more effort to separate the skin from the tomato. It's 10:03 and I have 2.5 quarts done. But, I will continue on this trek to save 21-28 quarts.

Mike

At 12:01 the pressure canner with seven quarts of whole tomatoes started jiggling. No wonder I like to preserve juice more than whole toms!

Three hours for seven quarts? Geez, in three hours I would have 23 quarts or more of juice.

Mike

Ciao Mike-

Canning is for people who have patience..you just can't rush it. I mean you can try, sure, and then you can get frustrated.

Back