• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Can't mix neem oil with water

I got some neem oil to use on my plants and I can't for the life of me mix it with water. I'm using 1 ml neem oil on 200 ml water (0.5% dilution) and 1 ml Dr. Bronner's pure castile soap and it just won't mix. What am I doing wrong? I end up with this:

IMG_0603.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miWlDVOhrSE

soap is dispersing the neem... someone check my chemistry. Cheers!

might be a water temperature thing as well. try warmer water.

Must be the soap. I mixed up some neem with water today and didnt have any trouble getting it to mix.

CMJ said:
Must be the soap. I mixed up some neem with water today and didnt have any trouble getting it to mix.

I'm confused now. I thought you needed the soap to emulsify the oil, because oil and water don't just mix. Do you just shake it?

Voodoo 6 said:
soap is dispersing the neem... someone check my chemistry. Cheers!

might be a water temperature thing as well. try warmer water.

I'm afraid it might break down. I know the active component breaks down at not such a high temperature. The water I'm using must be around 90-100 F. Do you just use water and oil, no soap?

If you have a good sprayer, water and neem should be ok. I gave up on neem, aphids don't seem to be affected by it, I have a friend who runs an exterminator company. I tried pyrethrin at the percentages that require a license. Remember seeing a article where green aphids have total resistance to neem and pyre.

Voodoo 6 said:
If you have a good sprayer, water and neem should be ok. I gave up on neem, aphids don't seem to be affected by it, I have a friend who runs an exterminator company. I tried pyrethrin at the percentages that require a license. Remember seeing a article where green aphids have total resistance to neem and pyre.

Unfortunately I don't have one, I use spray bottles. I think some of my plants have mites, or some other tiny bug which I can barely see.

pushing heavy oils thru spray bottles is difficult. so dilution seems a natural answer. Some folks have had success with neem.

ThePizzaMonster said:

I'm confused now. I thought you needed the soap to emulsify the oil, because oil and water don't just mix. Do you just shake it?
I just followed the directions. 2 tbs to a gallon of warm water. I used it as a soil drench to get rid of a Fungus Gnat infestation. Worked like a charm. Im guessing the brand that I bought has an emulsifier mixed in.
d0a5c748681a25b7629495779fce6ee1.jpg

I use 1 tsp of liquid dawn antibacterial for every tbl of neem oil. Also soak the bottle of neem in warm water for a few minutes before using. Shake well and use, no worries. If you can find it azamax works better then neem oil. Cheers

FreeportBum said:
I use 1 tsp of liquid dawn antibacterial for every tbl of neem oil. Also soak the bottle of neem in warm water for a few minutes before using. Shake well and use, no worries. If you can find it azamax works better then neem oil. Cheers
Any order in particular or you just mix it all? Room temperature is about 30 where I live so I thought that wouldnt be a problem. I looked at azamax but its much more expensive so Id like to try to get the neem oil to work.

ThePizzaMonster said:
Any order in particular or you just mix it all? Room temperature is about 30 where I live so I thought that wouldnt be a problem. I looked at azamax but its much more expensive so Id like to try to get the neem oil to work.
I usually add the liquid dawn first but I don't think it really matters. For me putting the bottle in hot water just makes it emulsify better, and I use room temp water in the spray bottle. Azamax is more expensive but you will be happier with the results. If possible rotate between azamax and neem or neem and something else for better results. Spider mites can and will build up a immunity to one product used solely. Mighty wash is good stuff also but it is made using pyrethrin. I actually used a combo of all three to get rid of spider mites the one time I had them. Best of luck

xanthan gum/guar gum on hand?

It emulsifies cold liquids with oil so yes but you have to be careful of it thickening, I'd think a little bit would work but maybe not. If you don't have it on hand, it would be too expensive to try, unless you need some for sauce making.

Back