• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Capsaciniod extract question

I have answered posts about this before and decided to preform this experiment in order to share with this forum but i am at a stand still do to this..... 
I have recently done this project. I have many notes but would like to talk to someone about a question I have. I recently noticed that when retrieving the final product when I noticed some sort of white glue-like substance at the bottom of the container. does anyone know where this came from? is it still safe? I used 95.5% USP food-grade acetone and thoroughly sanitized glassware. I did use one hard plastic funnel to transfer the first solution into a filter. it may be from that or I heard it could be vanillin, if so, should I trash the entire product? I personally would like to find a way to save it if possible for bulk products I like to make, but I don't have close to a complete lab. 
as stated above I have many notes, so any questions or comments will be answered to the best of my ability. Thank You!!!
I can upload images, but my phone is currently dead at the moment so that will happen if need be. 

RealementeBlanco said:
I have answered posts about this before...
where? links are always helpful for posterity :)

RealementeBlanco said:
...decided to preform this experiment in order to share with this forum... 
I can upload images, but my phone is currently dead at the moment so that will happen if need be.

good photos are a big part of sharing. as is a proper writeup of your procedure and materials.

regarding your question: what kind of plastic was the funnel?

sinensis said:
where? links are always helpful for poste
rity :)

good photos are a big part of sharing. as is a proper writeup of your procedure and materials.

regarding your question: what kind of plastic was the funnel?
 I wanted to upload the images in the complete walk-through, but here are the images pertaining to the question. as for the funnel, I am not sure what plastic it was exactly. It came with a small chemistry set and after poring the acetone capsaicin solution it had no damage on it. the darker solution is the product which i noticed did not have any of the glue substance in it after pouring it into its new container. the glue appeared in the same container and the lighter solution after i added a small amount of acetone to try to thoroughly clean/transfer the remaining solution. 

Attachments

• 20191129_142957.jpg
    20191129_142957.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20191129_142934.jpg
    20191129_142934.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20191129_142931.jpg
    20191129_142931.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20191129_142950.jpg
    20191129_142950.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 142
What is the purpose of this experiment using acetone?
SL

salsalady said:
What is the purpose of this experiment using acetone?
SL

There's only one I know of SL - capsicum extraction.

salsalady said:
The word "extract" on chile forums typically refers to a thick, dark colored liquid in which the capsaicin of chiles is extracted from the chile flesh using alcohol or other solvents. This type of "extract" usually has a nasty taste and most people avoid using it for that reason. Most well known brands that have a superhot sauce or product use extracts. 1 Million Pure Cap is a commercial product and is easily purchased for $10-15. Extracts in commercial products are listed by different names including oleoresin, chile capsaicin, pepper extract and many more variations.
Hope this helps~
salsalady
Please note your response above from 2013 and edited from SL post

Without a proper write up of ingredients and procedures we will have a hard time explaining what you have because no one will know since you haven't informed us of what you did or with what.

What kind of bulk products are you making? 

Look, I've done a lot of sketchy shit in my day. Shot shit in my veins still wet with xylol amongst many other stupid things. That was then though. Nowadays I would't want to be ingesting some stuff some random dude did in his kitchen without a lab made with acetone. So, that being said, hopefully you aren't making something to be ingested.

Is this by chance what you did?  https://www.reddit.com/r/chemistry/comments/2b7q20/how_to_extract_capsaicinoids_from_chili_peppers/

What makes you think it's vanillin?

If the acetone didn't effect the funnel after pouring it through then it's not that. Plus the funnel came in a chemistry set so it's probably not going to made of a material that couldn't withstand acetone.

Like I said without a proper walk through and pictures ( I can't see it in the ones you posted ) it will be hard for us to help.

salsalady said:
NECM, I figured it was capsaicin extraction....just wondering why they are using acetone, which I believe to be inedible?

Evening SL.....

Funny you should post just now.....as I was wondering about the melted funnel from a chemistry set? OP has many things amiss in this thread.....

i would not say those pics are very good (poor quality lighting for starters), but it's unlikely that anyone can tell you definitively what that goop is. i would guess that it's just crap from the peppers, but i've never extracted from capsicum before. maybe it could be defatted, idk.

salsalady said:
NECM, I figured it was capsaicin extraction....just wondering why they are using acetone, which I believe to be inedible?

mm, there's lots of ways to extract capsaicinoids, and each has its pros and cons. personally, i'm a little curious about how to make a very clean extract devoid of off tastes. kinda like the stuff you make your drops out of. that tastes pretty clean to me. however, i don't care enough about it to do my own experiments with it because it's rather noxious stuff to work with. easier to just buy your drops tbh.

related topic: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71687-pure-evil-capsaicin-drops-oops-sale/

but anyways, acetone can be used to make extracts. you should take care to remove all acetone residue before using it in food though. there are many 'inedible' reagents used to process stuff that ends up as food or medicine. many things that are much nastier than acetone can and are used along the way.

and perhaps surprisingly, acetone's relatively nontoxic (LD50 is about 50mL for a 150lb person). it's even produced endogenously and doesn't appear to be mutagenic or carcinogenic.

RealementeBlanco said:
to make Mace(current purpose), If i plan on consuming a product like this i usually use high proof vodka for extra food safety 
So, if you've done this before using vodka-what is different? If nothing is different other than what is used to extract the cap then there's some impurity somewhere from something. Something on the coffee filter, acetone wasn't as clean as purported, something somewhere.

But if it's just to be used as a deterrent I wouldn't even sweat the impurity. That's just me though.

Upload a video of user testing though. You know for science sake ;)

Many plant waxes are insoluble in water, barely soluble in alcohols and strongly soluble in things like acetone.

Acetone is going to dissolve and recover such waxes.

Acetone will also dissolve some plastics.
Moreover many plastics are essentially a hard wax, HDPE is such a plastic. Many plastics are essentially incompatible with acetone and other solvents.

Plant waxes are often nearly insoluble in cold alcohols but are much more soluble in hot alcohol... but the same it true for many plastics.

This isn't a really safe area of exploration... for a number of reasons.
Stainless steel funnels can be easily procured, while I don't recommend people experiment with capsaicin extraction I even more strongly do not recommend using plastics with solvents unless they are designed for it like TPFE products. Actual glassware can be easily obtained online, as is safety equipment.

If you don't have an eyewash station and or protective gear as well as appropriate fire extinguishers I think you shouldn't be experimenting with potent chemical irritants and extremely flammable solvent with low flashpoints.

But then if you don't have an appropriate fire extinguisher in the kitchen I would also say you aren't prepared enough to use a stove.

Sometimes you only get 1 chance to make a mistake.

Back