CARDI Landraces of Trinidad & Tobago Hot Peppers

I have been intrigued by this catalogue ever since I found it on the CARDI website.  The doscument is titled "A catalogue of the commercial hot pepper landraces of Trinidad and Tobago" (2008).

In it there are seven commercially released hot peppers.  They are

Scorpion (looks like a Bhut or Naga!)
Hood
Seven Pot (looks like a red BrainStrain)
Faria
Moruga Yellow
Moruga Red
Bejucal

Now after growing the CARDI Yellow Scorpion and being very impressed with it as a Yellow Congo of sorts (it is very productive and produces beautiful sweet fruity berries with a decent heat - great for hot sauce production) I would like to acquire these landraces as well.

They have been selected for commercial production and stabilised.

Anybody have them.  The real things - I am not interested in acquiring Moruga Scorpion blend etc etc etc.  I am looking specifically for these commercial releases. 

Anybody know somebody who knows a dude who met a chick and got some?  Anybody growing these?  Anybody seen them?  Anybody eaten them?

Are they the commercial releases from CARDI or are they generic Moruga yellow and red 7 Pot?  If they are the commercial seed released for farmers in the Caribbean then please pm me and we can talk shop!

i don't know if i would call them "generic", but i have no idea if they are commercial seed. they're pepper seeds i acquired from both trade and purchase from a seed company. not sure what to tell you about commercial carribbean farmer seed stock.
the yellow moruga looks like a yellow habanero. great flavor and not super hot. the red 7 pot is my favorite super hot for flavor. so fruity!

Did you try contacting them? I see they have an email and phone number on the sight you posted. Maybe they could turn you in the right direction.

Moruga red and yellow are available via Judy at pepperlover.com, although i do not know if they are identical to the CARDI strains. You`ll have to ask her. They are not scorpions and have maybe double the normal habanero heat.

I MIGHT have a couple of Faria plants from Pepperproblem`s grow. I do not know where he got the seeds from and I do not know if there are any left in his seed book. I will try to find out. The plants weren`t labelled well, but 2 or 3 had "Faria?" tags. 

Contacting CARDI is probably your best bet.

Oh, I have one plant that is labelled CARDI red scorpion I grew from seed via 

http://hellhotpeppers.com

Thanks for the input!  If I want to import the seed from CARDI it is a serious shlep.  Import permits and...........wait for it................I have to commission an Environmental Impact Assessment to prove that these varieties will not wreak havoc on our existing genetic resources!  Really.  Just a way of our National Department of Agriculture (equivalent of USDA) "protecting" the big agri-business seed companies here.  Also because they are commercial varieties with serious economic input from the fiscus of Trinidad and Tobago they are not inclined to be handing over their resources without some form of contractual agreement.  I just wanna grow some new sh*t.  Not start a ginormous commercial venture!

I'm not sure how CARDI's Yellow Scorpion ended up in the trade - possibly via Trini Hottie (Sara Ragonanan of SR fame).  It would also appear that the 7 Pot BrainStrain is actually the CARDI 7 Pot (but acquired from SR as the Original 7 Pot and very wrinkly berries were selected over those that were less so).  I checked and you guys are correct - the Red and Yellow Moruga (@ PepperLover) are the CARDI cultivars.

So now I am a bit closer to acquiring them.  I have the CARDI Yellow Scorpion, BrainStrain (most likely CARDI 7 Pot), need to get Judy's Red and Yellow Moruga and then......Just 4 more - Hood, Faria, Bejucal and the CARDI Scorpion.  Just a note about the Scorpion - in their catalogue this is a very unusual looking beast.  It looks more like a longish Naga or even the Indian Carbon Bhut.  Heck maybe the Indian Carbon is even the CARDI Scorpion!  And so the plot thickens.......

If you look at refining fire chili's Jim duffys website there is a VV7 Trinidad scorpion available that I believe is cardi derived that might be another one that you can get without jumping thru hoops and he was selling cardi 7 pot at one time,I'm going based on memory so don't quote me on this but I'm Perry sure its there ''!

Back