• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Care for seedlings

I have Moruga Scorpions and Choc Habs Seedlings up. Being a first time grower, can anyone please share some tips about the care of these plants at this crucial stage? In the past it seems i lose a lot of seedlings and not sure what i am doing wrong.

I have Moruga Scorpions and Choc Habs Seedlings up. Being a first time grower, can anyone please share some tips about the care of these plants at this crucial stage? In the past it seems i lose a lot of seedlings and not sure what i am doing wrong.

If you're like me in the past, you're probably 'doing too much' and killing them with kindness! Don't overwater, avoid adding any nutes...you should be fine!
Would be handy to know more info...like are you starting in Jiffy bags...or soil etc?!
Pics always help too. Have you any pics of failed past attempts?

I'm still learning a lot, as it's currently my first grow too! Best of luck :)

Would you elaborate about what was occurring and at what stage when you lost the seedlings? Pictures are most helpful, too. Can't really help with that too-broad description.

I will add pics this evening they seem to be ok at this point. I have them in a plastic seedling tray with cells. The soil mix i used was 1/4 worm casting 1/2 potting soil 1/2 compost added small amount of bone meal.

Just-sprouted seedlings don't need much - the cotyledons (the leaf-looking things that first come out of the ground) act much like a placenta, and feed the plant until the first true leaves form and the cotyledons start to wilt (and then fall off.) Water alone at that point is all that's needed. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

The primary things that kill seedlings are too much water, soil too compacted and roots rot, too much fertilizer, too much surface moisture and fungus grows. If you have well draining soil and some airflow around the plants then the water and fungus issues are largely avoided even if you overwater. If your plastic seedling tray has a clear top as many do, leave the top off for at least a couple hours if you see moisture accumulating on it. Once you have sprouts poking out of the ground, then I'd not use the top at all anymore.

Back