• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Carolina Reaper and Pepper Stabilization

megahot said:
People are understandably frustrated that their Reaper pods are not Reapers. If the seeds were purchased from Pepper Joe and they grew untrue, Ed Currie will send out either another plant of his or seeds of his. As the business side of not being able to sell his pods I understand they are his. He is legally entitled to restrict anybody from selling his peppers. I know it stinks but its just business.

How are the pod his if he sold the seeds & someone else grew them? Is there any legal basis for him being able to restrict the selling of pods if you didn't sign a contract when you purchased the seeds? I mean wouldn't this set a dangerous precedent for the agricultural industry as a whole? Imagine if you are a farmer & you buy some cantaloupe seeds, grow a crop and then all of a sudden the seed supplier decides that those melons cannot be legally sold. I just don't see how that could possibly be legal.

megahot said:
People are understandably frustrated that their Reaper pods are not Reapers. If the seeds were purchased from Pepper Joe and they grew untrue, Ed Currie will send out either another plant of his or seeds of his. As the business side of not being able to sell his pods I understand they are his. He is legally entitled to restrict anybody from selling his peppers. I know it stinks but its just business.
So is it's mostly seeds from Pepper Joe that are not growing true, or are Ed Currie's also having issues to the same degree?

Companies have policies and contracts when you buy the goods. I can sell Schwinn bikes. No law stops me. When I buy them from Schwinn they may ask me to sign a contract and become an authorized dealer. The contract may say anything... it may say no Internet sales, or no sales in West Virginia... whatever. If you breach the contract they may terminate you as a dealer. This is between you and the supplier, and nothing to do with trademarks. The problem with peppers is they grow from seed! So there is no way to control that. Cease and desists seem like a scare tactic or just a fruitless attempt to control the sales, possibly from misunderstanding trademarks. There's no way they can control re-sale. And also the TM is not what it was thought to be, so it seems legally, you can use the name Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper for unadulterated seed and plant sales (because that's what is it), and the general pepper name Carolina Reaper for adulterated products like hot sauces, etc. The non-exclusivity is stated right in the mark. In my opinion the safest bet would be to use the general term for both, if you are not buying directly from the source. According to how the TM disclaimer reads, that's like using the word habanero.

AGAIN, NOT LEGAL ADVICE!

I have nothing against the supplier, I'm trying to address what is currently all over the forum (members scared to buy and sell), and trying to answer best I can so we can just get back to growing! :)

That's pretty much all I have to say on it. I wish the best to the creators of the Reaper and to those selling it.

poypoyking said:
F1 - Uniform
F2  - 50% genetic consistency
F3 - 75% genetic consistency
F4 - 87.5% genetic consistency
F5 - 93.7% genetic consistency
etc.

People need to keep in mind that this math only only applies to the trait or traits one is selecting for - new varieties don't automatically become genetically stable because they're grown out for x-number of years, and any traits not being actively selected for can be just as variable in the 8th generation as they were in the second. Eventually any isolated population will weed out recessive genes, but they can persist for a very, very long time if nobody's selecting them out.  If these guys weren't actively selecting for pod shape, which varies wildly with growing conditions to begin with, then pod shape shouldn't be among the criteria used to determine whether or not the reaper is a stable strain.

I wish i cold contribute but the two i have are still in solo cups. I have been secretly following and Hope I'm not setting my self up for disappointment.

jedisushi06 said:
Great video but where are the pods exactly?

here are a few RANDOM pics we took just last night when we were going through the plants. Posted these on Facebook last night.

999680_544681818912465_356601288_n.jpg

970612_544681792245801_1642434169_n.jpg

61622_544681772245803_545336561_n.jpg

Great consistency in your plants Mike.  I wonder if the majority of the users here (inclucding me) who have variation in the pods got seeds from a bad batch?  Most seed companies contract out like you are doing for the seeds.  I think as a user base we are trending well over 1.6% variation in the reaper.

mmcdermott1_thehothalf said:

On the plants - gesh! :dance:   Another video coming tonight of the pods for those who are skeptical. 
wasn't being skeptical just asked a simple question.  Don't get your undies in a wad. 
mmcdermott1 said:

here are a few RANDOM pics we took just last night when we were going through the plants. Posted these on Facebook last night.

999680_544681818912465_356601288_n.jpg

970612_544681792245801_1642434169_n.jpg

61622_544681772245803_545336561_n.jpg
looks pretty gnarly.  

I really like Genetics and not to be an Arse or anything as I really have only my views on the Reaper as to breeding,  from what I understand  Ed said the breeding is  "Pakistani Naga and a Red Hab variety from St. Vincent's Island" 

Now lets look at some Pics from the Net. 

shows two Naga
uvDNsem.jpg

Habanero 
46pg8C5.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion 
1X6CBMB.jpg

Reapers
0dXM2HB.jpg

Now I have to ask where does the Reapers get the Stinger or the Scorpion look, if it's a Naga x Hab cross? neather one has a stinger, can't get out what the genes don't have, and only in my Opinion that cross can't get the pod shape out of that cross.  

Cross the Naga x TS or even Hab x TS you might, but to be 100% honest I think it's more of a three way cross from the different Pheno's that has been shown on THP

The Primo pepper is a cross from what I can fine of   Naga Morich x  Trinidad 7 Pot  and to me genetically would think that cross could make pods that look like the primo pepper.  
667uVts.jpg

That's only my thoughts on the Pheno's I seen of the Reapers and Primo's 

mmcdermott1 said:

----without pictures----
When it comes to demonstrate what a Reaper is, I always see isolated single pods.

Why isn´t it possible to show 2-3 complete plants, full of pods with that long stingers?

Back