chinense Carolina Reaper - Cross or Selective breeding?

Can we question the sales literature and urban legend for a moment?  No insult to the folk at Puckerbutt, they came up with something fine.  But there seems to be a great deal of information that just doesn't make sense about how they came up with it.  I am NOT saying that false information comes from them.  I am wondering if there is not some insane degree of urban legend and internet experts contributing to the missinformation.

Is it a cross breed of two different pappers or a refinement / selective breeding of a single type of pepper. Maybe the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion or one in its line.  Maybe a further refinement of Butch T?

Lets look at some of the claims...  Again, not from Puckerbutt.

Its dna can be traced back to China? - Virtually every reference agrees the thing is a cultivar of Capsicum chinese.  What most people do not know is that the term has nothing to do with China.  Capsicum chinese is an entirely New World variety of plant.  It was MISTAKENLY called chinese when initially classified by people who could barely agree the world was round. 

Naga x Red Savina - The Wikipedia page for the Carolina Reaper says it was initially created by crossing a red naga pepper with a Red Savina.  Various other sources say it was a Pakistan Naga and Red Savina.  The Wikipedia page gives reference to Puckerbutt, but the information does not seem to be at the Puckerbutt site.

What is a Red Naga? - Usually we are talking Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, and even some of the hybrids.  Genitically different than Ghost Pepper, but in that same 1,000,000 shu range.  Some have shown much higher peaks, but the average is mostly around a million SHU.  They tend to have the look of a Ghost Pepper.

What is Red Savina? - It is a selectively bred cultivar of Habanero which peaks around 600,000 shu.

So lets sum up

According to Internet lore, the Carolina Reaper is so pure that its DNA can be traced all the way back to China despite being native to the Americas.

Accordign to Internet lore, the folk at Puckerbutt previously created 600, or was it 6000 different unique peppers before they created the Carolina Reaper.  Either number seems impossible.  Obviously someone is making some things up, but how much?

According to Internet lore, the Carolina Reaper was initially created by crossing a Red Naga which it does not look or taste like and peaks at 1,000,000 shu wtih a Red Savina which it does not look or taste like and has an even lower shu.

Although most of the literature incudes photos of peppers wtih that signiture skiney tail, many who have grown Puckerbutt seeds have noticed that is not the norm.  Many grown from Puckerbutt seeds look, smell, and taste much more like something from the Scorpion line.

Again: I am not saying Puckerbutt is lying.  I cant find anywhere that they said it was the cross that urban lore says it was.  I am wondering if maybe, like the Butch T, we are speaking about selective breeding rather than cross breeding.

Just kind of a hmmmmmmm....

And again, not saying any false claims were made by the folk at Puckerbutt.  Even the Wikipedia link to the cross breed information at the Puckerbutt site does not make the claims.  No clue where these rumors have come from.

There has always been speculation as to the actual plants that were crossed to create the Carolina Reaper. I don't remember reading where Ed has stated conclusively what they were. I also don't put much stock in wiki pages as there is a lot of false information in them. I remember reading somewhere that it is a Pakistani Naga crossed with a sweet habanero, both very non-specific mystery peppers.

Why are those crosses so unreasonable?

The 7 Pot Primo I grew this year was hotter than any of the reapers I tried (from 4 different sources). The Primo is supposedly a cross between a Naga Morich and a red 7 Pot, and is way hotter that either of its parents.

The reaper looks very similar to the Primo, but they do not taste the same.

I don't put much stock in internet lore. I like the reaper and will continue growing it. Knowing what was actually crossed to create it will not change my opinion of it.

Many pepper folk believe the stated reaper parents are simply a red herring. This was discussed in some length when the news broke. It's simply something that had to be put down on paperwork, but didn't affect the record making process. If I created the new record, I might not be inclined to give away the true parentage for people to simply copy. My opinion is it's a Primo/TSMB/ButchT refinement or hybrid. They are all very similar anyway. Heck, I've seen some Primos that look more like a Reaper than most Reapers, and similar taste too.

Now, what are the 7 Pot Lava™ parents? 7 Pot Red Brain x Brown TSMB? ;)

I haven't conducted any research on the REAPER.Not trying to add to the mystery or create any more confusion,have read where it's a cross of a Pakistani Naga x Habanero.Also read in an interview somewhere that Ed said it's an Asian-Sub Asian cross...so whether or not it's ever revealed by Ed,it's a great pepper and current Guinness record holder.

Explination of interest.  I enjoy both conversation and reverse engineering / figuring out what makes things tick.  Figured conversationally hacking peppers would be fun conversation.

Hottoddy - CR is not covered by the plant protection act, so i do not think there was any paper work to prove it is a unique pepper.  The trademark is on the name 'Smoking Ed's Carolina Reaper' and disclaims any claim on the term 'Carolina Reaper'.  So I could definately see the use of red hearings to protect a man's work.  Seeing what is going on with some other peppers / peoples hard work, I am thinking I would go the route of not saying a thing.

Alkhall said: "Umm... perhaps a little more research"

Kind of confused.  I said the Americas.  You suggest more research and point to an article that says the New World.  Uh ye, the New World was the Americas.  What?  I am saying the internet lore that says Carolina Reaper dna can be traced back to China is bunk.  You seem to be saying the same thing.

Cloudhand: I am not saying those being the potential cross are unreasonable.  I am saying that it looks like, tasts like, and burns like something in the Scorpion line.  So failing a statement from the creator, I do not know why folk went the route of a Red Naga and / or Pakistan Naga with a Savina and / or sweet Hab of some sort.  In fact, I think Savina makes a lot of sense at the point when it was considered the hottest.  It just seems like the information is not coming from the creator, who had a good reason to not share at the time.

mpicante - I agree.  I love the CR.  In particular, if you gut the pith n seeds you can use honey and sweet things to really really bring out a smokey fruit flavor from the walls of the pepper.  I find the same is true of many in the scorpion line, but for what ever reason the walls of the reapers seem to have more of the smokey part of the flavor.

Back