• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Great new thread I am interested to see how these things grow and hear people thoughts on the growing habit, pod variation, and if it does revert back to one of the parents.

Starting mine next season, but I'd love to see who gets the first leaves, first pods, etc. It should be a fun, friendly competition.

I am actually looking for some HP22B seeds. Are they out yet? Where did you buy them please? I hate to ask but does anyone has some spare seeds (1-2-3) ? I have tons of seeds to trade if you'd like.

As soon as I get back from Disney, I'll be starting my Reapers :)

one small suggestion...maybe you guys should add 7 pod Primo to the list/test. i mean grow both of them and lets watch and have fun...

I'm awiting my seed from primo, my thoughts exactly. I have some primo seed here but I want both original strains. I will post both and plant both the same day.

I'm in.

I dropped 4 seeds into paper towel on the 29th. I'll be sowing them in pots as soon as they are ready.

I don't have any Primos yet though...so I can't do a side by side.

I tried to buy some of these seeds but they wont post seeds to Australia, they said they have to many problems posting to Australia , but i dont know why i have never had any problems recieving seeds.

Among those who are growing the hp22b they need to been looking at/for consistency. Which means even if there was a difference between the 7 pot primo and the hp22b, the next question will be does the hb22b have an acceptable level of consistency; in terms of pod/plant characteristics?
It is a very challenging/fun task to plant and compare verities when people have different views about the same variety
In this case my slogan is “when in doubt, just plant” plant and try it yourself and report results. In other words, us as seeds/plant/pods suppliers MUST always remain objective, reliable, and realistic and allow our customers and community to judge and reflect on our items. In my case if I claim a pepper to be the tastiest pepper and when people eat it and say it taste like dirt I can’t keep fooling myself saying no it is the tastiest one. Customers are the jury, and their views what make difference. So if all/most growers say “hey” there is no difference between the hp22b and the 7 pot primo.. me as supplier must accept and respect their views and results ; not just tell them “you all don’t know what you talking about” the hp22b has another characteristics that you all don’t know, see, or realize it is the “Holy ghost in the DNA” . in my views DON’T ask me as a customer what I think of your product and when I speak up my mind you don’t like it because I was against your “wish/hope”
The same applies to opposite/other side of the story… if customers repost that there is an obvious, remarkable, measurable differences between the hp22b and the 7 pod primo we must accept the idea that they are two different varieties. Customers may say yes they are two different varieties, but guess what we found the 7 pot primo Hotter than the hp22b.. So either way the dispute/disagreement will be settled at the most by the binging of next season.
This is a very constructive topic and helps enrich our pepper community and culture. thank you Big Cedar

Count me in.
Will also be doing both reapers and primos.
Drama free would be nice, with a separate poll at the end.
Still a week away from planting them in the aerogarden.
That long until lights and fert arrive and I can transfer the ones growing currently into a ghetto hydro.

Back