• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Carolina Reaper?

So I harvested my first ripe Carolina Reaper of the season.  However, I am noticing that the pods on this plant look a little different than my others, they lack the evil looking "tail" that is characteristic of the Reapers.  Almost looks like a Bhut Jolokia.  Below is a pic, anyone else ever have Reapers that look like this?
nY1T0Uf.jpg

Here is a pic from another plant that shows one that is ripening, this one definitely has the tail that I associate with Reapers:

tZoEDBa.jpg

I have one similar to that. My seeds came from pods I got last year, so I wasn't expecting anything either way. My other reaper plant from the same seeds has pods that look more reaperish. Here's a pic of my first ripe pod. It's underneath a yellow brain, but you can see mostly what it looks like. All the pods on that plant are shaped the same. 

q7V0veKl.jpg

Peter S said:
I have one similar to that. My seeds came from pods I got last year, so I wasn't expecting anything either way. My other reaper plant from the same seeds has pods that look more reaperish. Here's a pic of my first ripe pod. It's underneath a yellow brain, but you can see mostly what it looks like. All the pods on that plant are shaped the same. 

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  How about heat level?  Do your reapers without the tail have the same heat level as those with tails?  I'm gong to try mine tonight. 

BB

Ok, I cut the pod in half and tried a sliver.  Definitely Hot!!  I stuck the two halves in my dehydrator after only trying the sliver of fresh pod!  Below are a couple pics I took of the halved pod

RU2yycE.jpg

eGuXeAZ.jpg

I tried some of mine tonight too. I sliced in four pieces and laid them on saltines with shredded cheese. I ate three of them so far, very intense heat. The flavor was pretty mild, didn't over power the cheese and crackers taste. Here's a pic of one of them. I'm still deciding on whether to eat the last piece. Probably will go for it. Starting to feel the burn in my stomach though. Getting cold chills on my arms. 

NhZOYVgl.jpg

Peter S said:
I tried some of mine tonight too. I sliced in four pieces and laid them on saltines with shredded cheese. I ate three of them so far, very intense heat. The flavor was pretty mild, didn't over power the cheese and crackers taste. Here's a pic of one of them. I'm still deciding on whether to eat the last piece. Probably will go for it. Starting to feel the burn in my stomach though. Getting cold chills on my arms. 

Wow, you are a better man than I!  I just tried a sliver. I was actually thinking of trying some slices with some sardines and crackers myself with the next one that ripens. I already stuck this one in the dehydrator. 

BB
Also, quick anatomy question. The whiteish/orange tissue on the left half of my pod (and also in the half in Peter's picture) is the placenta correct?  This is where the capsaicin is produced right?

BB

Back