Carolina Reapers Dropping Healthy Leaves

I recently purchased two 6" Carolina Reaper plants. I've transplanted them into approx. 5 gallon pots. 

I've had them there for a few weeks and about a week ago, they started dropping leaves. The leaves appear to have no fungus, disease, or pests. 

Any idea what's causing this?

I had a ButchT that did this last yr. Yes, what color are the leaves? How often are you feeding it? I noticed that my ButchT stopped dropping leaves after I brought it outside , so if its inside I suggest taking it outside. Id also check the soil PH too

I need to take some photos. I'll post photos soon. 

The leaves are perky and a bit yellow.  

The plants are outside and have been for a few weeks. 

I don't feed them really. i spray all my chilies' leaves approx. twice a week with a solution of water, epsom salt, and worm castings.

As far as over-watering, I usually only water once a week.

jointeffort said:
I need to take some photos. I'll post photos soon. 

The leaves are perky and a bit yellow.  

The plants are outside and have been for a few weeks. 

I don't feed them really. i spray all my chilies' leaves approx. twice a week with a solution of water, epsom salt, and worm castings.

As far as over-watering, I usually only water once a week.
leaves don't absorb nutrients like roots do

once a week is way too little in south cali/south florida especially since you don't have any kind of mulch in the pot

cr9w63F.jpg

SWnJi9l.jpg

9uNSGNo.jpg

Eyuc9hV.jpg

em2yHQj.jpg
eT2rJlP.jpg

cactusMD said:
leaves don't absorb nutrients like roots do

once a week is way too little in south cali/south florida especially since you don't have any kind of mulch in the pot
I am in the South Bay Area, in San Jose.

Those things look awfully hungry, particularly for some nitrogen. Should hit them with a good soaking of some balanced fert & see if they don't green right back up and stop dropping leaves.

If you don't have any nutes already, gen hydro Maxibloom is a  1 part dry, water-soluble fert that is complete in primary, secondary & micro nutes (Ca, Mg, etc). Pretty cheap, $15 for a 2.2lb bag that makes about 280 gallons of nutrient solution at a rate of 1tsp/gallon. I picked some up after seeing it recommended on here & my plants are loving it. 

What have your temps been to at night, with the weather where having up north I can only think the cold fog is rolling in at night and cold temps did that to my peppers this spring, I ended up putting them back under lights for a few weeks.   I also agree they look a light green maybe not enough N.   

Mr. Hill said:
What have your temps been to at night, with the weather where having up north I can only think the cold fog is rolling in at night and cold temps did that to my peppers this spring, I ended up putting them back under lights for a few weeks.   I also agree they look a light green maybe not enough N.   
Ya, the temps at night have been sporadic at best. Some cold mornings. We've been having this strange cold spells followed by short heat waves. 

So you think I should bring them in at night?

Back