• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cascabellas but not cascabellas

Hey guys, Im a new member and have a question. Earlier this year I got seeds from a reputable vendor Ive used for years (dont want to discredit them by naming them but theyve been very helpful and even offered to replace the seeds for free, but Im happy with the plant I got) for cascabella chilies, the little yellow ones served pickled at Mexican restaurants. As they grew everything looked normal until they set fruit, when I noticed that instead of hanging downwards like the C. anuum that cascabellas are meant to be, all of the fruit point straight up. Just like C. frutescens! (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) but the chilies look kinda similar to cascabellas, but bigger with the mature ones at about 6-6.5 centimeters/2.5 inches. They dont have the pale yellow/white color of unripe cascabellas, theyre lime green and as of today seem to be developing a blush to them. Im thinking theyll ripen to red like regular cascabella.

Im not upset with these results as theyve made great green chilies for cooking and fresh eating while gardening. The heat level is about the same as a hotter jalapeño, not as warm as cascabellas usually are but not boring either. I did contact the vendor and they said they dont look like cascabellas, but they arent sure what they could have crossed with. Im sure theyre some sort of accidental hybrid, but a happy accident because the plant is productive and pretty to look at with some very tasty chilies. I plan on saving seeds and trying to stabilize whatever cross this is over the years as I dont often see larger chilies with upward pointing fruit like a C. frutescens.

Any idea what these could be crossed with? I know its a long shot to guess the genetics of a chili without knowing what was growing near the parent plant but it might be worth seeing if anyone else has encountered plants like this in cascabella seeds purchased this year.

Thanks guys!

43114D67-502B-414E-8D80-8C0C2A91BD62.jpeg

Ajivis_and_Bhutthead said:
Any idea what these could be crossed with? I know its a long shot to guess the genetics of a chili without knowing what was growing near the parent plant but it might be worth seeing if anyone else has encountered plants like this in cascabella seeds purchased this year.
If final color  yellow, Goldfinger?

Sorry, tried to quote your reply and accidentally posted it before typing anything. Still getting used to using this forum! But I looked at the goldfinger chili and it looks like it could be part of the gene pool of the plant Ive got. Much like my plant the unripe fruits on goldfinger are green instead of the white or creamy yellow like cascabella. Interesting that goldfinger always seems to be listed as C. anuum, I was always under the impression that if the fruits pointed upwards it was C. Frutescens.

Back