seeds Cat ate my 7 pot seedlings.

I had the seedlings in a jiffy tray and had been growing for about 5 days. They were looking nice and healthy and full of promise and potential when the cat decided to chew them all to hell. 

I'm left with a single untouched seedling.  My plan was to start the seeds indoor and then to a sunny window and then out to my deck. 

would it be worth starting more seeds here in the north Texas area?

I feel for you.  It is actually funny though.  About an hour ago, I was feeding my peppers with fertilizer, and my cat decided to try my Carolina Reaper!  I will have to check my phone to see if my cat called its cousin down south today to arrange this.

Freechips said:

would it be worth starting more seeds here in the north Texas area?

As a first year grower, I would have to say heck yeah, start some again.  I just planted 3 more seeds about 2 weeks ago here and we just got a bunch more snow last night and this morning.  You will still have a longer growing season than me too. 

Yes, in the Dallas area you should be fine starting seeds now. Note that if you start them outside in the sun, you won't have to harden them off.

geeme said:
Yes, in the Dallas area you should be fine starting seeds now. Note that if you start them outside in the sun, you won't have to harden them off.
Thanks I will definitely give it another go

Any tips you can give on starting seeds outside?

miguelovic said:
Sprinkle cayenne pepper everywhere? :D
shoot use SH powder that will stop it.
sorry i'm a dog person even though i own a cat. fuxer seems indifferent all the time rather live outside and gets pissed at me when i bring out the rain and offer it a can of tuna. LOL

Freechips said:
Thanks I will definitely give it another go

Any tips you can give on starting seeds outside?

You have a couple options, and I'll assume you are growing in pots. A) Soak your seeds overnight, put them in a hole in the soil, cover, keep moist. B) Start them between two damp coffee filters in a plastic tub and keep it in a warm place. As soon as the root peeks out of the seed casing, move it to your pot outside and keep moist. With this second option you know for a fact that a seed germinated. 

hogleg said:
sorry i'm a dog person even though i own a cat. fuxer seems indifferent all the time rather live outside and gets pissed at me when i bring out the rain and offer it a can of tuna. LOL

A cat that is well-socialized from the beginning isn't indifferent like that. Well-socialized cats are very friendly and playful. Usually indifference occurs when the cat is allowed to be the master. If you ever get another cat (maybe wife/gf insists), first take some time to learn about how cats behave with each other, then be sure to let it know who the boss is in his/her own language. 

Thanks geeme I really appreciate the advice. I just got some more 7 pot seeds along with some reaper seeds. Time to get these suckers in the dirt.

My dog is two years old, and now pays no mind to my peppers. When she weas a puppy it was another story all together. Lets just say puppies gnaw on everthing, including pepper sprouts, seedlings, plants, bags of dirt, containers........

Freechips, you know how excited we get when we see sprouts and cotys and true leaves and pods...?  Just imagine how yummy all that might look to a cat. lol

I hope you weren't angry with him/her. Mine all drive me crazy sometimes but the truth is, if I were a cat, I'd probably be doing exactly the same as they do. Heck if I were your cat, I'd be around those plants 24/7. I'd have waited for the pods though before I feasted...

Nah Delta I can't hold a grudge with the cat. Much like the scorpion said to the frog, it is her nature. It was my fault for allowing her easy access.

Back