• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cat deterent / repellant

So anyway, we just adopted a cat. It ran away from their house (the house across the street) because it wasn't being treated right. So it started showing up in my garden and as usual, the animal lover in me got soft on him and fed it. Now it won't leave! lol. So I talked to the owner and told us that we could have it. Good news right? to keep them birds away and all that.

It's fairly young, still a bit in it's kitty stage. Very sweet. So it's still pretty curious about stuff and wants to explore it's new territory. Problem is, we have TEN dogs at the moment and the garden is it's only place that dogs don't really get to wander around. And the fact that it (i keep calling it "it" coz he doesn't have a name yet, lol. I just call it the cat that we adopted.) has been starting to poop in my garden!!!! and we all know cat poop is not good for the vegetable garden. Like just today, when we clean our fish, I keep the dirty water from the cleaning process and use it as fertilizer/soil conditioner for my plants and water them with it. So now since the garden smells like dead fish, it just goes around and walks all over my pots and my plants looking for the fish it's smelling. I guess that was my fault, but i've been doing that all the time.

anyway......how to keep it away from my garden??????

it's a cat, so fences aren't exactly a way to keep it out.

today i kept it in a cage for a couple hours til the smell of fish went away. so it just hung around the gazebo with the help, where it used to hang around and sleep and eat.

sorry rambling for on and on.....

yep they also work for ants, so I just spread them over the garden instead of just the borders. 3 neighbors who I give sweet peppers to save their used grounds for me. A friend of mine has a friend at a diner that collects them in a bucket for him whenever she works. He gets loads.

There is a product called something like Critter Ridder - it's basically a blend of capsaicin and piperacaea (aka black pepper) - stinks like black pepper, but worked on the critters at my place.

I didn't know that coffee grounds worked on keeping cats away.

I have two Wire Hair Fox Terriers that takes care of all my garden security needs.
Neil has recommended to me to use coffee grounds to increase PH which helps produces hotter peppers.

Electric fence would probably work too…I do have the transformers, but haven't needed to use them yet.

I didn't know that coffee grounds worked on keeping cats away.

I have two Wire Hair Fox Terriers that takes care of all my garden security needs.
Neil has recommended to me to use coffee grounds to increase PH which helps produces hotter peppers.

Electric fence would probably work too…I do have the transformers, but haven't needed to use them yet.

The coffee grounds don't work for shiznit on my Cats. Neither did large amounts of Black pepper and some kind of Indian hot pepper I buy in bulk at the asian market mixed together. Nothing keeps the bastards from crapping up my garden except for me out there with a Hose. I am going to invest in one of the motion detector sprinklers to put an end to it. Probably need to get 3-4 of them for my area.

Cats learn to jump the electric fences. We tried one of the pet type ones a few years back because one of the neighbor cats was shredding my tomato plants for some reason. We'd find the smashed up and ripped to shreds and couldn't figure out why. Saw the cat one day and put in the pet fencing. Fur ball just jumped over it for another couple of weeks until the dog caught hold of it and we haven't seen it since after it ran off screaming.

Instead of trying to deter it AWAY from your garden entice it to another area away from your garden. Try planting some catnip on the opposite side of the garden and introduce the cat to that plant once they start getting krunk on the nip they won't have any interest in your peppers :)

Have you considered letting one of your dogs guard your garden?

yeah but they do much more damage to my plants than the cat we have would. the dogs we let out in the garden kinda likes to eat anything green and leafy. not to mention the dirt too! odd little bugger.

Instead of trying to deter it AWAY from your garden entice it to another area away from your garden. Try planting some catnip on the opposite side of the garden and introduce the cat to that plant once they start getting krunk on the nip they won't have any interest in your peppers

live catnip plants are kinda hard to come by out here. i have to grow them from seed first if i do that. and by then it would be too late. i'm only thankful now that i don't have to do much about the cat problem since it's been raining a lot. but after that, it's back to finding a way to keep the new cat out of my plants' grow area.

They do make a humane product that is just a couple little plastic spikes sticking out of the ground to deter cats. I used upward facing duct tape to keep them off my grow table inside.

Personally, I think this is the best cat deterrent......

36689FA595A4DAEBDE690B_Large.jpg

Catch said offending cat and rub a lil turpentine on it's ass, it will be on it's way... I have a couple, but they prefer the volley ball court next door... :lol:

Back