• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Caterpillar attack

hi all, i have my plants in a cheap green house out the backyard .. but caterpillars keep getting in there some how and a big loop caterpillar

as shown here, it eats almost all the dam leaves off one of my small plants in one night :(
92hfd.jpg

so far i have lost the leaves off 2 cayanne plants ..... not only that but small white flys are getting inn there also...

i know i need to keep checking the plants daily but.. is there some tricks you can do to prevent these dam caterpillars ? or atleast slow them down :(

not a way to prevent them that i know about. but you can buy BT for caterpillars and make a batch and spray your plants at night and they caterpillar eats we leaves and dies

i had something similar on some sunflower plants that were actually treated with imidicloprid.... they didnt seem to mind. i just picked them off and havent seen them since.

I feel your pain, brother...I've been under siege by armyworms. For the last week, I've gone out to the garden 30 minutes after sunset, again between 10-11pm, and a final counter attack between midnight and 2am. I pick them off, and toss them in the rain-catch buckets. I've gone from a dozen a night, to a couple each night. I also boiled down 2 oranges, a lime (what was left of it after fajitas), a few cloves of garlic, and some random dried chiles with a little canola oil. Strained it, and made a spray...I test sprayed a particularly infested row of tomatoes, and haven't seen them (there) since. To be fair, it could be the hand-picking that is working, since the overall number is diminishing. But, the row I sprayed was the one place I always found them.

Good luck!

Tanglefoot! If they're coming into the greenhouse from the bottom up you can use Tanglefoot. Tanglefoot is a pine-sap derivative that you dab along the base of each plant. It's sticky. They try crawling up the stalk and get stuck and come morning you'll find 6 or 7 of those rat bastard caterpillars stuck to it.

It both stops them dead in their tracks AND gives one a sense of true satisfaction.

You can also use diatomaceous earth on the ground underneath and surrounding the greenhouse area. It's live soil and it actually cuts them when they try to walk through it. Very effective.

Hey if they are an insect that ingest the leaves use Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew, it is organic and uses a new thing called spinosad, perent company is Bonides but I use it whenever I see holes in chit.
from wiki:

The active ingredient is derived from a naturally occurring soil dwelling microorganism called Saccharopolyspora spinosa, a rare actinomycete reportedly collected from soil in an abandoned rum distillery (This is where Capt. Jack was hanging out) on a Caribbean Island in 1982 by a scientist on vacation.[sup][1][/sup] It has not been found in nature since that time, and was subsequently described as a new species. The bacteria produce compounds (metabolites) while in a fermentation broth. The first fermentation-derived compound was formulated in 1988. Spinosad has since been formulated into insecticides that combine the efficacy of a synthetic insecticide with the benefits of a biological pest control organism

Back