• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

cayenne pepper

Hey guys-I'm new here so dont kill me if this question has been asked 100 times before,i know how forums work haha-i searched but didnt find much.

Anyone know where to find stores that sell fresh cayenne pepper's? I live in the north east pretty close to NYC. I've called/ been to 60+ stores, farmers markets, super markets...etc and no one has them. I've found one chinies market in queens that sells green cayenne pepper but they are very inconsistant when they have them and dont have the quantity I need. PLEASE help!!

Thanks-

Really surprised you can't find them at a farmer's market. They are really easy to grow. I really love their flavor too. If you have a spot for even one container I would grow my own. I prefer the thick cayenne as I find them more consistent and better yielders. I can send you some seeds if you want to send me a SASBE? If you were closer, I'd just give you some pods. If you're interested in dried pods and will pay the postage, I can ship you some dried pops from my next picking if you like?

Agreed - farmers markets are usually your best bet. After thinking about your question a bit, and this is just thinking out loud, the average retail shopper in the U.S. buys dried cayenne powder and is happy with that. That's the way it's been for decades. So likely that your average retail grocer is only going to carry dried cayenne powder, not pods. If you want bulk pods, though, I'd recommend talking to the store's buyer, to see if they can help out somehow. Could be that whoever they buy other hot peppers from would also sell them a batch of cayenne, which they could turn around and sell to you. This might even be possible at a large chain - my local chain grocer adds fresh local veggies during the peak season, and sometimes they have peppers in the local stuff that isn't usually carried. If nothing else, they may be able to help with a connection.

Back