• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cayenne Peppers?

I've got 9 Cayenne Pepper plants starting to produce pods. I'm going to make some crushed peppers with them, but I think I'm going to have some excess. What else can I do with my Cayenne Peppers?

wash and freeze them.

Lay them out single layer on a cookie sheet until frozen, then pop them into freezer bags. Line the cookie sheet with wax paper or plastic wrap so they don't stick to the pan. They'll be individually frozen so you can take out one or two for a pot of chili or whatever throughout the year.

Or- Make a sauce!

I'm not usually a big fan of cayennes but I do love cayenne based wing sauces. You'll likely need to do some fermenting though,but I'm not sure.

Dry them and start cooking up some indian foods. Vindaloo's tend to have 8-10 dried reds in them as do a number of chicken dishes. You could also look into cooking up some szeshuan dishes like Kung Pao Chicken as well. Both cooking styles use lots of cayenne's.

I like mixing a few into my hamburger patties. Spicy burgers are the best, I have a hard time eating a non-spicy burger these days.

Not sure why, but I don't really care for the taste of a fresh cayenne...but love it dried and powdered. Makes a good powder, or "crushed red pepper flakes"

Gengar said:
I've got 9 Cayenne Pepper plants

1262670382577.gif

I had two cayennes last year and could barely keep up with them. 9...wow you're gonna be busy picking peppers from them.

I have ceyenne and I pick the fruit ripe and eat it or I put it into the freezer and chop it up and toss it into a stir fry, its not my favourite pepper for flavour. I may keep it with all my other annuums and mix them together and grind them into a powder but for $ 2.50 I can a bag of chili pepper.

Back