• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce "Celebrity" Hot Sauces - your thoughts?

Wasn't sure if this was the right forum...just curious as to what y'all think of celebrity sauces. Like, not saucemakers who've become celebrities, but rather celebrities who decide they want to get into the sauce business.

I just received an update from the Spicy Foods Productions that one of the guys from Guns & Roses has a line of sauces coming out. I read further & it's CaJohns, with this dude's face on the labels.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't buy a sauce based on celebrity affiliation. I don't collect sauces, or celebrity memorabilia though. If the celeb is going to get out and market the sauce for free... then it might be a good deal for the sauce maker. The celebs will likely already have contacts in the restaurant biz, or heck, even their own chain of restaurants.

Tacky? Yes!
Viable business plan? Probably!

Wasn't sure if this was the right forum...just curious as to what y'all think of celebrity sauces. Like, not saucemakers who've become celebrities, but rather celebrities who decide they want to get into the sauce business.

I just received an update from the Spicy Foods Productions that one of the guys from Guns & Roses has a line of sauces coming out. I read further & it's CaJohns, with this dude's face on the labels.

Your thoughts?
well if Sammy Haggar can have his own tequila, and oh yeah Dexter Holland from the Offspring does has his own hot sauce, Paul Newman had his own line of goodies,its really nothing new, i guess its ok but for the most part im sure most of them with a few exception really dont need the money its more about hype and maybe just a wee touch of glory grabbing IMHO
thanks your friend Joe

Your thoughts?

Sounds like they did their research and picked an excellent manufacturer. What's your issue?

Better than the novelty presidential and so forth sauces that are just private label swill.

I don't really take issue with it, and I agree that they picked a terrific saucemaker to partner with. This is not intended as a slam on CaJohns - I dig their sauces.

That said, did this dude come up with recipes or just lend his name to a line of sauces?

If the former, all the power to him. If the latter I am not a fan of that. That would be the only issue I'd take. Hey, good marketing for CaJohns, but it seems a little off if they're saying its that dude's line of sauce if he didn't create them. Some folks work awfully hard to create things.

Not like it's a huge deal- just curious how people feel about celebrity endorsed hot sauces in general.

oh yeah Dexter Holland from the Offspring does has his own hot sauce[/b],

Yeah - he lists "mojo" as an ingredient. I have some...it's not bad.

Paul Newman had his own line of goodies

I think Newman donated all his profits to charity. :cheers:

And both Newman & Holland created their products.

Could be anything from a private label recipe you pick from a catalog, to your own recipe, to using the manufacturer as a consultant in designing your recipe.

Private label, yeah, then it's just a generic sauce that has many names, when it comes out you can google the exact ingredients and see if anything else pops up (a good tip for finding private label sauces ;) ).

I would imagine it is not private label but one of the other two options, and probably two, but I have no idea, obviously.

If CaJohn's is making it it should be pretty good (I mean rockin' lol). Worth a try!

I agree - I love CaJohns products & ill check it out I'm sure. If CaJohn is associated I'm sure it'll be tasty.

It's just be nice to know if this guy actually developed the recipes.

I think Newman donated all his profits to charity. :cheers:

And both Newman & Holland created their products.

Not all of Newman's profits go to "charity", some of them get put into endowments for organizations, like the Farmer Veteran Coalition, who in turns dole out grants to Farmers/Veterans, who then buy big walk in coolers to put in their garages.

photo(1) by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

*Source - me!

I refuse to be considered a "charity" case!

Does anyone here know CaJohn personally to ask them about this product line?

There would definitely be a confidentiality agreement. Why do you care about this sauce?

I don't even know if he does private label.

But in the general sense, yeah, that stuff is a lazy excuse to come out with your own product. If your name is on it, it should be your sauce, not a catalog entry that is another sauce. Heh... I mean, what if Axl and Slash decided to battle it out with a GNR sauce and they both picked the same one. Anyway. Private label is usually a lot of the gimmicky stuff with curse words on the label or inappropriate images, or football teams, or elections, etc. They are good for things like parties, or weddings where you want to give out "your own" hot sauce but it is limited to that event. On the larger scale, restaurant, retail, etc., if it is "your" sauce, it should be your sauce, as in you had some part in it.

Oh, good point. I guess I don't care that specifically, this was just the one that inspired the topic & I figured with the pepper community being so tight someone could ask.

I was more coming from the "assume innocence" aspect - I don't want to sound like I'm accusing anyone of anything.
:cheers:

For all I know these are all this dude's creations, the result of decades of product development.

Same Deal as wine. Everywhere you look and see Drew Barrymore, Branjolina, Francis Ford Copalla's faces /name on wineries/labels.
I have an Autographed unopened bottle from Andretti wineries. However cool, I bet I know more about grapes than Mario.
meh... probably not, but still, he's a race car driver!

ok. What was the point?

I actually love The Cheech's Gnarly Garlic. Delicious. His sauces have very little heat, but otherwise are extremely tasty.

To be clear, I don't care who profits either - I hope all sauce makers have financial success. I do care about honesty in labeling, and who created the products. :cheers:

Cheech is too :high: to make it :lol:.

Unpossible!
:dance:

If you look at if from a merch standpoint, some fans want something other than a Tee or poster. A hot sauce? Cool. They want it. Did the band make it? I hope not! :lol: Seriously though, did they make their T-shirts? The design on them? Their logo? So who says they can't have a hot sauce made for them, especially if they are busy as hell touring, and know nothing about sauce.

Just saying. Not something I would buy as a hot sauce BUT fans see it as merch... at shows, band signs it... cool. I can dig that.

Agreed.

I picked up limited edition Sperry lithographs at both the Warren Haynes tribute to Sly Stone concert & the Derek Trucks concert - obviously neither musician created or designed those, so I get what you're saying.
:cheers:

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Guns-N-Roses-Star-Bumblefoot-Launches-Hot-Sauce-Line

Sounds like his own, possibly with a little help. Took me all of 2 secs to find that link....

I figured it was a colab. Great choice in manufacturer he must be a chilihead. Thanks for the link geeme, maybe LDHS can get some sleep now :lol:.

It depends. I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it out. If it's good then I would buy more, but if it sucks... well, you do the math :)

But it's why I like Paul Newman's line of products. They're legitimately good, and the fact he donates money to charity gives me the warm & fuzzies

Back