• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CFL VS LED bulbs

Does everyone here use CFLs? LEDs appear to be far superior even to a cfl?

More expensive yes but up in New England elec is 12.5 cents a kw.

I use CFLs in my grow box during the winter/early spring and standard fluros for my germinator and grow area for starting plants...

No, not another which light is best thread:( Everyone seems to have their own favorite way of lighting but there are always positives and negatives to each

there are only 1,356 light threads Potawie...lighten up man ;)....

grow box lighting...grow box is 4' X 4' by 6' tall inside...

12 - 42 watt (150 eq CFLs @ 2700K color temperature) and 6 - 27 watt CFLs (100 eq @ 6500K color temperature) and 8 - 40 watt standard fluoros (@ 6500K color temperature)...

The mere fact of using LEDs will not get you better results. the right LEDs in the right configuration have the potential to do better than a proper CFL (a lot better). there's so much to consider... Pr - Pfr ratio, photosynthetic activity over time, absorption, the hormonal activity caused by the light and the one caused by everything else and so on...

willard3 said:
Try using the search function on this site....you're beating a dead horse.

deadhorse.jpg

I read about 10 articles on various forums discussion groups, hydo sites etc on LED lights and ended up just going with a MH/HPS setup. It seems most of the experts arguing say LED lights will work, but you need to get a LOT of them and a use 400-500 watts to really grow a plant to maturity and get it to fruit. Although they cost less to operate the initial cost to purchase are 4-5 times that of MH/HPS and 6-8 times that of CFL for the same lumen output. Plus a lot of guys are complaining about them because some of the individual lights seem to be burning out very quickly. Some one here posted that problem as well. For me I just went with whatever setup was cheapiest OVERALL. Doesn't help to save $100 a year on operating cost if you have to spend $500 more up front. Just my 2 pennies.

Back