• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Challeano.. Really an Annuum?

Since I can't seem to buy seed now without digging thru the pepper offerings.. I ended up with this pepper they are calling an Ann.. But it sure looks like a Baccatum by the picture and the description. 
Anyone ever grow these? They claim to be a fairly quick producer.

TjyDh7Ll.jpg

Little update on my Challeano, from the Seed Savers collection.

Edit: Like I suspected, this appears to be a Baccatum variety. (The others I thought were part of this group, are likely some of the F3 Volante cross I was messing with.. Another product of the tag issue that happened this summer. Sorry for the confusion, for those who read the first post.)

Anyway, I think we can all agree this is not an Annuum? It is also behind the Anns by a solid week or more in flowering.
So, instead of 6, it looks like I only have two.. And they seem pretty on target for true. Here's the furthest along:

20211207_234704.jpg
20211207_234903.jpg
20211207_234744.jpg

Last edited:
I love SSE, but yes, I have noticed that on their seed packets they sometimes have the wrong species name. I think it might be an editing issue that someone doesn't catch when proofing the seed packet design. [Edit] I took a look at their catalog, they clearly have the species wrong still. It seems whoever had originally donated the original seed had it mislabeled, and they are cautious about changing the info. I think someone needs to make them aware though. I'm curious if the original growers misspelled "Aji Chileno" to "Aji challeano"? It seems so similar to Aji cristal which they also sell, which is also called Aji Chileno sometimes (and aji verde, and aji rojo).

Last edited:
I am going to send them an email on it when I order here soon.. We'll see how they react. I went to do it before, but they have one of those 'leave your message here, where you have no copy or proof it happened' boxes for reaching out, instead of a general email listed. I've learned not to deal with vendors thru those, as they just tend to ignore the messages and seldom respond. Might not be every vendor, but I like having a copy when they tell me they didn't get it.

@Indiana_Jesse , are you a member over there? Or ever been? I was debating joining up over there, but I'd like to hear how it is from the inside. There are a few things I note on their site that gives me pause.

Last edited:
I am going to send them an email on it when I order here soon.. We'll see how they react. I went to do it before, but they have one of those 'leave your message here, where you have no copy or proof it happened' boxes for reaching out, instead of a general email listed. I've learned not to deal with vendors thru those, as they just tend to ignore the messages and seldom respond. Might not be every vendor, but I like having a copy when they tell me they didn't get it.

@Indiana_Jesse , are you a member over there? Or ever been? I was debating joining up over there, but I'd like to hear how it is from the inside. There are a few things I note on their site that gives me pause.
I was a member years ago, it used to be the only way you could use their exchange/expanded catalog. Now you can buy from the exchange without membership. I've gotten a few cool things from the exchange...some different Indian chillies that they don't put in their annual printed catalog.

Back