• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Chalula

I'd never had Chalula before last night.
Don't know why really.

Will always choose Tapatio first, but we were out to dinner and there ortions were Chalula or Tobasco. I wasn't feeling like Tobasco, so I thought I'll try this other one I've seen around so often.

OMG was it good! Sweet, with a surprisingly low heat level. I had to keep piling it on to get the burn I wanted. Which wasn't a problem because the taste was so good.

Not much of a review, and I was probably the only person on this site who hadn't already had it. But I still wanted to share.

the original flavored Cholula hot sauce is great for what it is, their other flavors are lacking IMO.
I'll take original Cholula over original tabasco or franks red hot or something similar in those lines from the grocery store.
though tabasco chipotle is great for mass produced easy to find store shelve sauce.

I don't care much for vinegar based hot sauces but when I'm eating at a diner and my only choices are Chalula, Tapatio, and Tabasco I always go for the Chalula.

Well, it has to be good, Chalula is manufactured in Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico, and licensed by José Cuervo. It rates 3,600 on the Scoville scale.

Ah, Cholula. One of my beloved gateway hotsauces - along with Tapatio, Pico Pica, Tabasco, Salsa Brava. To this day, I still have one of those in my fridge at any given time. Cholula seems to be popular in many restaurants, where I almost always choose it over Tabasco.

I enjoy Cholula - it's a tick up from Tapatio and ya gotta love the wooden cap. 

For what it is, it's very solid - a snappy Mexican table sauce. I always have a bottle on hand. Every now and then I get a craving for the sharp notes and it has heat that a 7 month old kitteh could handle. 

I like their label too. 

Back