• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Changing Colors

Some of my peppers are starting to change colors at last . My Golden Habaneros are 1/2 green and 1/2 orange. That's what I expect. But my Trinidad Congo Yellows are doing the same thing.
Will peppers that going to be yellow turn orange first ?

Thanks & Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Thanks Guys ,

I thought peppers that are supposed to be Congo Yellows that are half green & half orange now was strange. But thought I would/should ask.

So I should pick the peppers when they're fully orange and not wait to see if they turn yellow.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Potawie ,

I was thinking/wanting them to turn YELLOW. I know plants can get mixed up. I'd expect that more from my starts. This was from Cross Country. The color's not that important , it's my first year and I'm trying to learn.
So when the color doesn't seem right I'd like to learn what could be up.

Here's a picture of the pod in question.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Orange_green.jpg

Just found another pod on a different Congo Yellow plant that's changing . This is more what I would have tought would happen.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Yellow_green.jpg

you may have a cross on the red one...but the yellow one looks true

AJ ,

I think I'm right but will ask anyway . When you have a cross pollination the peppers THIS year will look and taste like the original plant. It's the seeds from the cross that are changed. Right ?

If that's right then the plant in question above was the wrong plant or a cross. I planted 6 Congo Yellows. The hail killed one so I have others to see how things go.

I bought some fresh peppers last year from Cross county. I used the seeds from some Fatalii for my plants this year. All of these seem to be correct.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
I think I'm right but will ask anyway . When you have a cross pollination the peppers THIS year will look and taste like the original plant. It's the seeds from the cross that are changed. Right ?

Correct.

what MrArboc said...

and from what I have read if they grow true this year, next year they might not...

Thanks guys ,

AJ , I'm not clear on what you meant . "If they grow true this year , next year they may not " ....... Are you saying a "true" pepper strain might change even if it's NOT crossed ?

I understand what happens when you do a cross. To keep it very simple , some will look like parent A , some like parent B , some will go somewhere in between . Then the next year things can go wild when those are bred back.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

no sir...I was talking about the future generations of the cross...the F1 cross may grow true but then if you take seeds off the F1 and plant them, the F2 may not grow true...

If its an f1, I don't think it can't really grow true, but it might look that way. f1's of a cross should all look the same but f2's on should all be different until stabilized

POTAWIE said:
If its an f1, I don't think it can't really grow true, but it might look that way. f1's of a cross should all look the same but f2's on should all be different until stabilized

This maybe a dumb question, but,do you self pollinate a single F2? Or, do you cross pollinate two F2's? In regards to stabilizing the cross.

You need to keep self-pollinating after the original f1 cross. Inbreeding is only a bad thing in the animal kingdom:)
Edit: Then there is back-crossing which gets more compicated

POTAWIE said:
You need to keep self-pollinating after the original f1 cross. Inbreeding is only a bad thing in the animal kingdom:)
Edit: Then there is back-crossing which gets more compicated

I hope you take good notes!

Well ....... the pepper from earlier that was yellow ....... is now orange !! So I have no idea what's up with my Congos. So far none are turning yellow ...... heck they may not even be Trinidad Congos. I'll eat 'em anyway to teach them not to play around !!

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Photo's not great but you can see the color

TurnedOrange.jpg

Back