Charcoal; is there a place for it in growing peppers?

Many of my orchid varieties love and thrive in chunks of charcoal. I've read many beneficial effects of putting charcoal in the soil in gardens. Anybody out there have any input/experience?

I put hardwood ash in my compost in smaller amounts, and spread some on the lawn a couple of times a year. The grass loves it and shows a noticeable boost in growth and color. Not Charcoal briquettes though, i've heard not to use them.

Well there's a place for burned woodash in gardening. I suppose charcoal could be included too. But I wouldn't know. Sorry.

J762 said:
I put hardwood ash in my compost in smaller amounts, and spread some on the lawn a couple of times a year. The grass loves it and shows a noticeable boost in growth and color. Not Charcoal briquettes though, i've heard not to use them.

Yeah, the binders they use aren't exactly "organic"

J762 said:

No, no, not briquettes (they have chemicals in them); I'm talking about real charcoal (it looks like the trees and branches it's made from).
I know about wood ash, but I'm curious about charcoal. Cheers.

AjarnV said:
No, no, not briquettes (they have chemicals in them); I'm talking about real charcoal (it looks like the trees and branches it's made from).
I know about wood ash, but I'm curious about charcoal. Cheers.

I break up chunks of it when I put the ash in. There's always a few good pieces of charcoal left after the fire that gets put in. I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with using what you have.
Just don't add to much, though I'm not sure how much actually is to much as I've never pushed it.

found this link about Characteristics and Function of Charcoal:

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/charcoal-properties

1. Porous substance with high water and air holding capacity; Suitable habitat for some microbes and plant growth, good material for soil amendment, absorption of chemicals and humidity control

2. High alkalinity; Neutralization of acidic soil and improvement of chemical components of soil and selection of microorganisms

3. Non organic matter ; Exclusion of saprophytes and propagation of autotrophic and symbiotic microorganisms, free living nitrogen fixing bacteria, root nodule bacteria, Frankia and some mycorrhizal fungi

4. Low mineral content ; “Charcoal has no role as a fertilizer”

Composition of bark charcoal %
Carbon:77.58,
Volatile matter:12.92,
Ash: 9.50

Mineral content of ash %
SiO2:36.5
Al2O3:10.9
CaO:19.2
K2O:1.1
Na2O3:5.35
Fe2O3:7.5
MgO:10.3
P2O5:1.7

# Air supply by charcoal induces the activation of soil microbes and CO2 emission temporally. Small amounts of chemical fertilizers or organic matter should be mixed with charcoal in agricultural use.

soil application of charcoal to provide a microhabitat for AM fungi to colonize and survive.

the research says it's no good. but from what I can see, it's pretty alright to me.

AjarnV said:
Many of my orchid varieties love and thrive in chunks of charcoal. I've read many beneficial effects of putting charcoal in the soil in gardens. Anybody out there have any input/experience?

Have you read this?

That was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting that. Maybe I need to find some good charred wood to see if it can improve my poor very acidic soil.

jacob

Thanks for posting that link SS very good. I have been putting a couple of shovel fulls into my compost pile for years

I'm going to try a little experiment using Charcoal from Coconuts.
My wife and I go through anywhere from 5-10 baby Thai coconuts every week, and I have been letting the used shells pile up to dry out. I lit one up the other day to see how well they burn and it makes a really nice piece of Coal when finished, with little ash. I'm going to start torching the whole pile and mixing the coal into some of my planting areas to see what happens. I'll probably start it with the fall crop later this year when i get greens planted. I'll start a new thread with results once I have done so.

Be careful not to use to much you don't want to change the PH or maybe you do. let us know how it works. As i have a hole bunch of husks Around may house.
could burn them.

Back