• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Charleston Pepper nitrogen deficient?

Hi all. I am new here and have been growing for several years in 5 gallon nursery containers.
I buy seeds from Pepper Joe's and decided to try the Charleston Pepper which is a very hot Cayenne pepper.
I grew several different peppers from seeds in my propagator and then transplanted them into 4" pots when the seedlings were 3" tall or so.
I put them into Kellogg Patio Plus potting soil which is very amendment rich about 2 weeks ago and for some reason both Charleston peppers look nitrogen deficient or possibly too much nitrogen I am not sure. This natural soil contains worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal and composted chicken manure although I am not sure in what proportions.
This plant has been in the garage since I planted it's seed and has been under 14-16 hrs of fluorescent light daily.
I was not sure if it could be a magnesium deficiency or not but I gave it and other plants a light dose of Epsom salt mixed in a 3 gal. watering can.

I have enclosed a photo I took today and would appreciate any input on what it could be.

Thanks

Photo1152.jpg

I am by no means an expert, but I doubt it is nitrogen deficient for two reasons. 1) The amendments in your soil sound like they would have plenty of nitrogen in them. 2) My experience with nitrogen deficiency has been where the lower leaves yellow while the upper leaves stay green, since nitrogen is mobile and is drawn away from older growth by newer growth.

I'd actually be inclined to say that perhaps they are burned a little from the ferts.

Thanks compmodder26, I was thinking the same thing. It's odd though that the other pepper species are not having the same issue to that extent.
Maybe it's this particular pepper that is sensitive to fair amounts of ferts in the soil so early?
Another thought is that chlorine in the city water caused this. I didn't let my water sit for a couple of hours to dissipate the chlorine before watering but I am now.
Maybe I should just water it heavy and get some ferts to runoff and see if that remedies the problem.

I just found this on another forum.

"I read up on the Charleston Hot Cayenne in the catalog from Heavenly Seed (available online), and there was this footnote: NOTE: Normal foliage color is a yellow green. Please do not mistake this for a nitrogen deficiency." Interesting. I do know that all my peppers need calcium bad. I am going to have to make a trip to the Hydro store in town to get some Cal-Mag as none of the home centers carry it that I know of.

"I read up on the Charleston Hot Cayenne in the catalog from Heavenly Seed (available online), and there was this footnote: NOTE: Normal foliage color is a yellow green. Please do not mistake this for a nitrogen deficiency." Interesting. I do know that all my peppers need calcium bad. I am going to have to make a trip to the Hydro store in town to get some Cal-Mag as none of the home centers carry it that I know of.

I heard you can use crumbled egg shells, bring them to a boil and you can use that water,

I can attest from personal growing experience that charleston hot peppers are very light green in color, so nothing to worry about. I think it's just a characteristic of this particular variety.

Thanks guys. Although the color is normal for this species I don't think the yellowing spots are.

Djsketchie, did you have spots at all on yours?

I heard you can use crumbled egg shells, bring them to a boil and you can use that water,

True but that takes egg shells that I don't have. :lol:
I went and bought some Botanicare Cal-Mag today at the hydro store and watered some into all of the peppers.

Wow My beefy cherry toms look Exactly the same way, yellow spots.
I just fed them too... >.<
yep I'm thinking its a newt burn. I was under the impression that newt burn turned the tips yellow, but this would explain my tomatoes.

i have a Charleston pepper plant seeds also from pepper joe but its really green i think, but the thing has so many branches and has not tried to flower at all, so i think went it does its gonna blow up with peppers! :dance:

Back