• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Cheap mobile greenhouse from lowes.

So I was at lowes today and noticed a small greenhouse for $40 so I picked it up. I live in zone 7 and planning to start all my seeds in the thing but I've never started from seed before and I have a couple of questions...

I plan on putting these thing inside at night in my unheated garage. My garage usually runs 15 degrees warmer then outside so I'm hoping to put it in there at night and push it outside during the day.

What kind of temps should I be looking for?

Also I have ordered plants in case this is a total failure so I have a plan b this is just practice for next year I guess.

6936863044049.jpg

This one? the shelfs are junk and the post pop out. I would say 70 to 80 or around there should be good.

That's the one! 70 to 80? I was hoping for a little cooler... Shoot I was hoping to get a jump on the season I could plant them in the garden if it's 80 outside. What's the use in this thing anyways.

Even with a space heater my germination rates in my mini greenhouse were average. Starting seeds indoors has been much better for me. The plants I had already started love the greenhouse though and are growing really well. I'd say no to starting in the greenhouse, but yes for plants that have already sprouted and are around 4-6 inches high.

JoeFish said:
To get my seedling that tall I will need a grow light wont I?
Inside? Yes, unless you have a south facing window, though that would be similar to having them in the greenhouse. I've found my sprouts are doing much better inside under lights than outside in the greenhouse. Consistent light and temps definitely help with the growth. Sprouting inside then moving outside will work if the temps are right, though growth may be slower due to the lower amounts of light in winter. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Inside? Yes, unless you have a south facing window, though that would be similar to having them in the greenhouse. I've found my sprouts are doing much better inside under lights than outside in the greenhouse. Consistent light and temps definitely help with the growth. Sprouting inside then moving outside will work if the temps are right, though growth may be slower due to the lower amounts of light in winter.
All advice sounds great and will post some updates. Got the el cheapo greenhouse built and get some kind of lights in the next few days... Any advice on some cheap lights?

JoeFish said:
All advice sounds great and will post some updates. Got the el cheapo greenhouse built and get some kind of lights in the next few days... Any advice on some cheap lights?
I'm new to growing under lights, but I got these to start with off amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKKULI6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T8 or T12 shoplights from walmart, lowes etc will work as well for growing with 6500k bulbs from what I've read. If you're only planning on growing the plants enough to get big enough to go outside with no problem then basic T12 or T8 lights will be enough if you have enough to cover each plant. 

Be careful with those greenhouses, me and my housemate have both had disasters with them cooking plants... Only takes a warm day in spring to fry your young plants! Great when it's cooler just make sure to check the weather and open it up if it looks like its getting warmer

I'm using the same greenhouse but leaving it in my garage with a light setup. Not using it for an actual outdoor greenhouse.

DonLava said:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVpazA38PM0[/media]

Here is a video with some basic tips
Looks like your lights are too high as the seedlings are long and spindly looking. Put the lights down about 3" from the seedlings I would suggest.

Back