• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Checking unsprouted seeds

I started my seeds in a 72 cell flat. There are a few varieties that have not sprouted and they were all planted on Feb. 1. Is there a way to check the unsprouted seeds to see if anything is happening?

Those varieties may just be stubborn or take longer - I'd follow the advice of most of the folk here; be patient. If you have to check, scrape away the surface of the soil just teeny weeny and look for a hook or seed. I have to admit I have done that - never with much, if any, any beneficial result :shh: Be careful not to mess one up.

thats y i like to use the plastic bag or plastic container with papertowel way because i too am inpaitiant good luck

I get a little impatient myself occasionally and will do some peeking. I use a small pick and start scraping away the mix from just short of the center pulling the mix outwards. I do this in a circle so there is kind of a submerged volcano directly over where I hope the seed is. Then start shortening the volcano a little at a time. Rarely do I get the answer I'm looking for. 13 days isn't very long for a lot of pepper types, what did you plant?

I get a little impatient myself occasionally and will do some peeking. I use a small pick and start scraping away the mix from just short of the center pulling the mix outwards. I do this in a circle so there is kind of a submerged volcano directly over where I hope the seed is. Then start shortening the volcano a little at a time. Rarely do I get the answer I'm looking for. 13 days isn't very long for a lot of pepper types, what did you plant?
The peppers in question are Cascabel, Fresno, and NuMex Sunset. Everything else is doing fine.

I still have some superhots popping that were planted over a month ago. Others of the same type popped within a few days under the same conditions. Go figure.

My Butch T seeds from amazon sprouted after about a week...

the rest of my super hots have been a bit slower... I get one or two each day popping up, but at this rate, its going to take a couple of months I'm afraid.

Part of my issue is that I refuse to turn the heat on in my house, so at night temps are dropping down into the 50s... day time highs are about 70 here in florida at the moment, so I think thats slowing me down quite a bit. Fortunately there are only 8 or 10 or so left in the tray of 72.

Though I am growing concerned about seed rot for the rest of them.

Back