• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cheers from FoCo, CO!!! Could use some simple help!

So I have a super quick and easy question (potentially?) that I honest to God can't get a straight answer out from googling or asking Jeeves the damn question.

Simple background: I have 15 different pepper plants (Sante Fe, Anaheim, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Poinsettia, and Habanero)

My problem? ALL of them are perfect in size, yet NONE of them have a hot flavor profile to them? I get they have to ripen, however I'd love it if I knew whether or not I could pick these immature peppers and somehow let they ripen indoors (banana in brown bag?) so that other "new" peppers may grow before the freeze?

So: is it best to ripen on plant when the peppers are of size? Or can I actually pick them and let them ripen indoors, thus giving life to more peppers that want to fruit?

Always best to leave peppers to ripen on plants, simple as.
Some people believe that picking fruit encourages new ones to set and develop faster.  That has not been my experience.  It would be nice to see somebody back up that claim with data.  If you aren't guaranteed some significant percentage more/better yield, then it just isn't worth the hassle.  You'd sure hate to miss out on optimum quality, for the sake of double the mediocrity.

Dwarro said:
So I have a super quick and easy question (potentially?) that I honest to God can't get a straight answer out from googling or asking Jeeves the damn question.

Simple background: I have 15 different pepper plants (Sante Fe, Anaheim, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Poinsettia, and Habanero)

My problem? ALL of them are perfect in size, yet NONE of them have a hot flavor profile to them? I get they have to ripen, however I'd love it if I knew whether or not I could pick these immature peppers and somehow let they ripen indoors (banana in brown bag?) so that other "new" peppers may grow before the freeze?

So: is it best to ripen on plant when the peppers are of size? Or can I actually pick them and let them ripen indoors, thus giving life to more peppers that want to fruit?

You have posted this question in three separate forum topics, please do not duplicate your posts.

Welcome to THP.

What 7 said -- let them ripen on the plant, BUT keep them picked for increased production.

Back