• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cherry Ball x Thai Hot ?

Hi guys

Last night my partner showed me our cherry ball chilli plant. I'm not too interested in these chillies so don't usually pay much attention to it.
Anyway it has definately crossed with another chilli in our garden. I have 2 thai hot plants next to it and a fish, hot bannana wax, red hab type, capsicum and a scotch bonnet also near it.

Here is a pic of it (the red one is what it usually looks like and the others have crossed)

bb9240e092d8410a9bf8478070a7dbe6

This one is really different to the others

58c1331c5c084189a3a9d7919aa946b7

These are the Thai Hot / Birds Eye plants that I think may have crossed with the Cherry Ball.

f64c0cfa485749a1b85fea4d96764a63

72c29956ba72402bb6232f40da63eda5

What do you guys think?

I think that you should send me some when they are ripe :P Other than that just think of a name that reflects the nature of the pod and next season see if they are a stable cross.
If so you have just created a "new" variety :)

Novacastrian said:
I think that you should send me some when they are ripe :P Other than that just think of a name that reflects the nature of the pod and next season see if they are a stable cross.
If so you have just created a "new" variety :)

Hey Nova

I don't mind sending you some seeds, remind me in a couple of weeks if I forget.
I just hope that they are hotter than the normal cherry ball.
It is coming to the end of the season and the plant is dying off but I'm happy that it has done something different. I was actually thinking of ripping it up, but will keep it now!

What other plants it is standing next to now is not interesting, a cross pollination made now would not show. What is interesting is what the plant you got the seeds from where close to.

MrArboc said:
What other plants it is standing next to now is not interesting, a cross pollination made now would not show. What is interesting is what the plant you got the seeds from where close to.

Sorry I am not being rude but found it a bit hard to understand what you are saying, so just let me know if what I am saying is what you mean?

" Are you saying that if two plants cross now it would not show until you plant the seeds from that fruit?"
Because I always though that but when I saw this I thought maybe they do show on the plant?
This Cherry Ball plant is about 3 years old and hasn't done this before.

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
Sorry I am not being rude but found it a bit hard to understand what you are saying, so just let me know if what I am saying is what you mean?

" Are you saying that if two plants cross now it would not show until you plant the seeds from that fruit?"

Don't worry - english is a foreign language to me so I do understand that I'm unclear at times.

You did understand perfectly. The result of a cross will not show until you plant the seeds resulting from that cross - you could get a perfect Fatalii-pepper even if the flower was fertilized by pollen from a habanero. If you want true seeds of your favourite pepper you need to isolate the flowers to prevent crossing because there is no way you can tell until the next generation.

Think of dogs - a poodle mated with a labrador will still be a poodle. The puppies will be crossbreeds however. (Although there are people who claim that labradoodle is a breed...)

MrArboc said:
Don't worry - english is a foreign language to me so I do understand that I'm unclear at times.

You did understand perfectly. The result of a cross will not show until you plant the seeds resulting from that cross - you could get a perfect Fatalii-pepper even if the flower was fertilized by pollen from a habanero. If you want true seeds of your favourite pepper you need to isolate the flowers to prevent crossing because there is no way you can tell until the next generation.

Think of dogs - a poodle mated with a labrador will still be a poodle. The puppies will be crossbreeds however. (Although there are people who claim that labradoodle is a breed...)

That is what I always thought and have told others that also. Some people have said to me before that if they have 2 plants next to each other then the pods on that plant would be different and I have said what you have said above. I started doubting it though when I saw this as it has never happened before so I thought maybe I had learnt wrong and they were correct.

What do you think has happened to my plant then? They are completely different to the original chillies I got off there, one even being pendant and them having a pointed ends now instead of being round like a ball.
Could it perhaps mutated in some way? I have no idea what has happened now!:doh:

FiveStar said:
If it's a new variety, why not name it "Hot Thai Balls?"

He he Hot Balls :mouthonfire:
But I agree with MrAboc, couldn't have crossed. He just confirmed what I used to think.

Scorpion suggested that because of winter it may have gone like that. I know some of my others get a little distorted or smaller but I didnt think they could change that much.

So ur basically saying that a cross pollenated flower grows genetically x'd seeds within the developing pod (irrelevant husk). The pod's (husk's) DNA is unaltered by the pollenation process, and only the seeds within have altered DNA. The DNA of the pod is the same as the DNA of the parent plant... unaltered.

The characteristics of the X seeds within will only be shown once the seeds themselves grow and produce pods of their own.

Have i got this right?

Well the pod distortion may have been a result of you not paying attention to them. I had an Orange Habanero plant at my sister's last season. She had a big issue with pepper maggots and for the most part pulled everything out. The hab plant got left because for some reason the pepper maggot flies were not going after them. Anyway, the plant basically got left in mother nature's hands and here is what resulted.

IMG_0074-1.jpg

IMG_0073-1.jpg

Prior to this the pods were all normal.

BonniePepperRob said:
So ur basically saying that a cross pollenated flower grows genetically x'd seeds within the developing pod (irrelevant husk). The pod's (husk's) DNA is unaltered by the pollenation process, and only the seeds within have altered DNA. The DNA of the pod is the same as the DNA of the parent plant... unaltered.

The characteristics of the X seeds within will only be shown once the seeds themselves grow and produce pods of their own.

Have i got this right?

Correct.

BonniePepperRob said:

Have i got this right?

Yep if another chilli (chilli A) has cross pollinated the flower (chilli B) you can only tell by growing the seeds from that "normal" pod (chilli B). Then if it does turn out to something different (chilli A & B) collect those seeds and so on until it remains stable (keeps showing the same characteristics)to get a new species.
Hope this makes sense, I'm not to good at explaining things ;)

Back