• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cherry Hot with terrible heat!!!

Today, I bought some cherry hots at the Price Chopper in Albany. I took a bite and had tears running out of my eyes. This was both unbelievable and excruciating. This was hotter than any Thai chili pepper I had ever eaten but the scoville scale posted that the cherry hot was in a very low heat range. I find this very weird because I ate a scotch bonnet a month ago and it was almost at that range. Can anyone tell me why?

of course, everyone has a different tolerance to all types of peppers, perhaps it is the thickness of the pods and a large placenta. hot cherries remind me of manzano in thickness; but no way would you try to eat a manzano without first removing its tough seeds.

i don't find scotch bonnet all that hot, yes, they make me sweat and do silly faces and fancy breathing but still not all that hot.

hey, on a side note, i just watched the new Mars rover, land on Mars at 11:34pm MST at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Sometimes you get peppers that are hotter or milder than they you may expect them to be. For example, scotch bonnets can be within the range of 100,000 shu to 300,00 shu, that is a vast difference in heat.

On the other hand, you may not have been ready for the heat and they caught you off guard causing more burning than anticipated. Everything from the PH balance in your mouth to the water content in the pepper can cause them to be hotter.

There are a lot of variables and no absolute answer is absolutely correct.

But hey, great find though!

I remember I Took a Thai and Wow It was so hot I almost puked a few days before that I had a Ghost Pepper That was Hotter but did not make me do any of what the Thai did and from what people had told me here is that Every Pepper has different capsaicin so Must of been That too

Back