• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Chicken with Indonesian Sauce Recipe

Since most of us eat solid food, with the exception of any Breatharians out there, I thought I'd share this recipe that was on my Photobucket page. (It's a bit wavy because I took a pic of the page in the book)*

My wife and I have eaten this meal a couple of times now and have both enjoyed it. I make extra marinade sauce to spoon over a side dish of brown rice. :)

IMG_4170-1.jpg

The peanut butter in the marinade sauce absorbs quite a bit of the heat, so some of you Chile Heads might want to add an extra pepper or few to suit your individual tastes.

Bon appetit! ;D

* From the book, "For Goodness' Sake: An eating well guide to creative low-fat cooking" by Terry Joyce Blonder

dvg

This "Indonesian Sauce" is known as SATE, or SATEH sauce here in Holland.

The upside of a shameful 350 yr colonial past is having all the wonderful indonesian food :)

For making sateh sauce you don't use lime really. Preferably a spice called SEREH, which is dried lemongrass. You might want to chuck in some ground ginger and/or KETUMBAR, a spice related to ginger. Some garlic, a little soy
sauce, and SAMBAL, chile paste made of Indonesian peppers (called "Lomboks" or "Rawits") to taste.

Be informed that there are DOZENS of different SAMBALS. Each with their own degree of spicyness and different tastes.

The SATEH sauce is so common in the Netherlands now, that people douse their french fries in it anywhere. Even a mayonaise/sateh sauce combo is not unusual, while McDonalds sells "SATEH" burgers and sateh flavored snacks, too.

One would be WELL advised to explore the rich, varied, and amazing Indonesian kitchen. Try the Dutch colonial RIJSTTAFEL ("rice table") in particular.

rijsttafel1-600.jpg

Rijsttafel-Set-Dinner.jpg

Let's put it this way : Indonesian food is to us, is what Mexican is to Texas.

It's something you DO.

Good eatin' ! And there are plenty of hot peppers to be enjoyed.

Back