• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

(chil)tepin phyllotaxy

I received an assortment of chiltepin and related seedlings and I noticed they had a different appearance from most all of the other stuff I've been growing ... these haven't branched, and I think I might have noted that the leaf organization is different in terms of alternating vs whorled etc? ...

I intended to grow these as perennials in pots, and they are already taller than I would like them to be before the first fork ... is there anything I should know about this type of plant before I pinch them? I did a little googling, and the most reassuring thing I came across was that they tend to be good candidates for bonsai ...

Thanks in advance for any discussion ...

gm

Tepins seem to branch a bit later in their growth, and they can get quite tall before they'll bush out. If you look at them from above, when they're mature they kind of resemble a bicycle wheel...

I've never tried pinching them, I just let them do their thing... maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

Here's a pic from last year's season. Unfortunately all of my tepins this year seem to be crosses...

IMGP1274.jpg

Pequins live for years down here. I know of one that is still alive after 8 years.

Yeah, that's consistent with what I've been reading and I ordered some 10gal root pouch's to plant them individually. Next spring I'll be planting everything individually, but this year I'm doing a little cohabitation of plants in the tomato planters ... it was the easiest way to get everything off the ground, and the plants don't do the upside down thing (save the bells) ... they just grow up from them.

Back