food Chile bread

Anyone have a good recipe for chile bread?
I felt today like trying something new, so took
1 lb wholemeal flower
10 fl oz water
dried yiest
tsp salt
about 2 tbsp of my wife's mixture of mashed Amando and some olive oil :onfire:
left over raisins, I guess about 3 handfuls
tbsp of cane sugur

Came just out of the oven and gave it a try with some bacon and eggs. A good combination of sweet and spicy. I'm satisfied. :cool:

Anyone has recipes?

250g hard flour (some call it bakers flour)
150ml water at 30C
4g dried yeast or 8g fresh yeast
8g butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1-2 chillies of choice

Dissolve sugar in 150ml boiling water, cool to 30C and pitch yeast. Leave 1/2 hr
Finely chop chillies. Gently heat butter and add chiliies. Remove from heat and rest in a warm spot at least 1/2 hr. This step is best done the night before.
Mix sifted flour and salt. Add yeast and water to flour bit by bit until dough is slightly sticky. It should stick briefly to your finger but not detach from the dough.
Knead 10 minutes, place into a lightly oiled bowl and place a damp teatowel over the top. Proof until doubled in size.
Strain chillies from butter (you may have to reheat it) and reserve.
Mix butter into dough and knead 10 minutes (you may have to add a little more flour if it's too sticky)
Place dough into greased and floured loaf tin or roll into dinner rolls, buns whatever...
Score, and sprinkle chillies over top. Mist with water. Proof until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 190C. Add steam for first minute.
Cook until golden brown. Add a small knob of butter to the top, let cool for 5 minutes.

Serving suggestion. Dip into olive oil seasoned with sea salt, pepper and lemon juice.

That sounds like yammy yammy, although I think I would add a few more chiles, and maybe add some pounded garlic to the serving.

Besides the bread, your user name suggests problems with snails. What type? When we just moved into this location in France, my whole veggie garden got eaten by escargots and little grays. An old farmer's woman told me how to prepare them for diner. That first year, I cleaned out the garden twice, and I am sure I collected more than a few hundred snails. Put them in a box with basic wheat flower, which cleans out the snails. After a couple of weeks, they are ready to be eaten. We prepared them 2 ways. The big ones were filledl with garlic/parsely butter and baked in the oven. The smaller ones, we cooked in a chile soup (Sichuan dish), chicken broth with loads of chiles and of course mouth numming sichuan peppers. A petty that I don't have any pictures, but this was one of the hottest meaks I have ever had. Every 5-6 snails had to cool myself down with a cold beer. It was a great diner, and most important of all, this year I have not seen a single snail !!!

Could add some garlic in the recipe if you want. Up to the individual taste.

Mwuhahahaha snails...do you hear that? Give me ANY more trouble and you're going express post to gvittman with half a bulb of garlic and some parsley. Hahahahaha.

Would't they dry out in the oven? I've been tempted to eat snails on a couple of occassions and know how to prepare them but I still can't bring myself to swallow one. But I love oytsers and raw seafood and have even eaten dog, ants and grasshoppers in Cambodia but snails.. they are like my arch enemy ;)

Hey D2S, now you're beating me. Ants and grasshoppers, yes I see them each time we're in China, but I can not imagine putting them in my system. I'm impressed.

No, the snails only go into the oven till the butter is molten, so they do not dry out. And the butter gives an awesome taste. Personally I think is better than raw oysters, which need some lemon to have any taste.
If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll show you one of our snail collection in the process of purification ...
You have different kinds of snails, and some are a bit chewy, but taste is always good.

Awesome on a plate

D2S, here are the sweeties ... after they have been stuffing themselves with wheat flower for a couple of weeks ... And, they eat worse than a pig.

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! runs away from picture and comes back with combat boots with 6 inch rusty nails,broken glass and barbed wire sticking out. Pours petrol on the boots and lights them. Picks up snails one by one and kicks the FARK outta them. :crazy:Mwuahahahahahahaha DTS-63! snails-0.

Anyhoo. What does the flour do? Is it like a cleanser or a fattener? Wouldn't all that flour inside when they are cooked act like a thickener and make them stodgy? I suppose I would eat them if they are prepared wih lotsa garlic and a white wine reduction. They do belong to the same family as oysters and other shellfish after all.

I fully synchronize with you when these suckers attack my plants.

If you prepare the snails without cleansing, their system is filled with shit. You keep them in the flour till what comes out is nice, clean, white. It doesn't do anything to the texture and is tasteless. Give it a try and you'll start appreciating them as a snack.
A white wine is definately OK, but also a good fruity red is a good companion. An excellent wine, and with a good price, is the Kaiken malduc 2006 from the Andes (Argentina). Higher in alcohol, but hidden behind a smooth and very fruity taste.

The most common snail to be found here is the Helix Aspersa
homeImage1.jpg

Commonly known in France as the petite gris.
These look to be the same as the ones in your photos. I'm still having a hard time getting to the point where I can walk into my backyard and see a snail as a snack and not as something to be squashed.
But I'm game to try anything once. And even twice with a few beers ;)

Hey bud, if there's enough of them, you are sitting on a gold mine !!!
The petit gris is what I mentioned in my original post. They are pretty similar to the escargots, only smaller. A good link to compare is http://www.propos-de-chef.com/produit-saison/escargot-bourgogne-et-petit-gris/
Is in French, so you'll have to send it through Babel Fish.

The price here in the stores is about 6 euro for a dozen. Ever thought about getting into the snail business? I got a female colleague whose father breeds them professionally.

Hey, missed the beer issue. Of course I'm ready for it, just gi'me a buzz. Can you get the Trappist in Aussi land? Belgian beer, awesome. And please don't settle for the Chimay which is marketed internationally. Try the Westmalle Triple !!! Awesome. You'll forget all your worries about snails. And by the way, excellent with some super hot explosive olives.

Back