• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chile Del Monte

Well I went to another nursery today looking for more pots. While I didn't get any pots, the owner figured out I like hot peppers. So, he said he has a guy from texas/mexico area that comes up this way every once in a while. Anyway, he gave the owner some seeds to try and grow for him but he never came back to get them. The owner asked me if I wanted them because he says they are hot and he doesnt like hot peppers so he gave me 9 plants. Right now they are fairly small..maybe 3" tall.

My question is..I know they are wild and I know they are a Tepin...but is there anything else anyone knows about these?

I found an article that mentions them or at least the phrase "Chile Del Monte"

http://darnhotpeppers.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/in-search-of-the-ancient-chiletepinpart-ii/

LOL 9 more plants, Dear.

hand.gif

LOL 9 more plants, Dear.

hand.gif

HAHAHA :rofl:

I told him...heck dear, get three more peppers then we will officially have 300 pepper plants. And I know if he doesn't get the three, it will drive me nuts, and I will have to go shopping for more. The local nursery that sells bhuts has their 1/2 off sale starting this weekend! Watch out here I come! :woohoo:

Ok I found a really good article. Chile Del Monte is just another name for wild Tepin..

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chiltepin_state_native_pepper/

I am curious about a statement in this article:

"Chiltepins are resistant to frost but lose their leaves in cold winter weather. New growth will sprout from the base of the plant if it is frozen back. "

What do they mean by "frozen back"? Is this suggesting that this plant can stay outside year round even in the temperatures we have here in Ohio?

Nah they definitely can't stay out year round where we live, no chile pepper is that hardy. I think they're talking about places like Texas where they might only get a few light frosts. By "frozen back" it sounds like they mean a lot of the branches die and the top portion of the plant dies but the main stem/base of the plant survives and new growth comes off of there.

Nah they definitely can't stay out year round where we live, no chile pepper is that hardy. I think they're talking about places like Texas where they might only get a few light frosts. By "frozen back" it sounds like they mean a lot of the branches die and the top portion of the plant dies but the main stem/base of the plant survives and new growth comes off of there.

Im gonna put a Manzano to that test this winter! lol

Im gonna put a Manzano to that test this winter! lol

I have a vent that constantly blows out warm air in the winter, I think I'm going to put a Manzano next to it and see how long it lasts. :D I noticed that plants started growing in front of it late winter before any other plants started growing around the yard. Maybe I'll try overwintering a Manzano and putting it in front of the vent at the end of February too. Hmm...

there was some writings of a 12 inch thick layer
of fallen leaves maintaining the ground unfrozen
in canada maybe (the canadiens may know about this)
you could possibly "bed" the plants after dormancy sets in

i think it is way cool that you have become obsessed
with wilds and of overwinterating them :rofl:

( i thought that may happen to you )

I have a vent that constantly blows out warm air in the winter, I think I'm going to put a Manzano next to it and see how long it lasts. :D I noticed that plants started growing in front of it late winter before any other plants started growing around the yard. Maybe I'll try overwintering a Manzano and putting it in front of the vent at the end of February too. Hmm...

Hmm...I have a dryer vent

Back