Chile Mustard

Looking for a good mustard recipe - bought some Habanero Mustard from the grocery store last year - wasn't too impressed? Looking for something that is fairly versatile - will mostly be using at football tailgate partys. Brats, Italian Sausage, Burgers, etc. I'm growing everything from Bells to 7 Pots so I should be able to cover most any variety of chile. Any suggestions are appreciated - need both tame and wild versions as we usually have a pretty diverse crowd. Thanks in advance.

I like beer mustards. Here you go:

7-Pot Porter Mustard

Makes about 1 to 1-1/2 pints

1 cup porter beer, chilled
1/2 cup yellow mustard seed
-
1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sweet onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
-
2 ounces mustard flour
1 tablespoon 7-pot powder
1/8 cup water, chilled
-
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice, ground

Pour the porter over the mustard seeds and let it sit overnight.

Place the vinegar, onion, garlic, and shallots in a saucepan and simmer slowly until the mixture is reduced by 2/3. Strain and chill (discard solids).

Make a paste of the mustard flour, 7-pot powder, and water and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Stir everything together and mix well. In a food processor pulse until the mustard seeds are partially ground and the mixture is well blended.

Transfer it to the saucepan and simmer over low heat until it thickens, 10-15 minutes.

Let it cool and place in a glass jar. Let is age 3 weeks to one month in a cool, dry area.

No prob. I think you will like it.

Post pics if you can.

Back