• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile Puya (or Pulla)

I buy these dried at a local tienda, so I don't NEED to grow them, BUT I was wondering if anyone has grown them? I was also wondering if anyone has tried them green (unripe)? If they are useful green, I may consider growing a few, instead of just buying them (very cheap) at the store. I'm guessing they are too thin fleshed and seedy for practical use as a green chile, but I thought I would ask....

I've been curious about this variety as well. How's the flavor/heat?
I've read that dried pods have some sort of licorice flavor, can you confirm?

Cya

Datil

Ive grown em, they are not too bad green, if dried when green, they make a good powder as they are thin fleshed. The plants are easy to grow and put out a decent amount.

Yeah they do have a licorice type taste, its subtle, buy there. The heat is a dry dusty heat but I dont find em too hot.

If you can find them at the store, its probably better to get them there, as they are already dry and you can get a large amount.

I like to dice up raw chicken or pork and sprinkle with somewhat coarse puya powder till well covered, let sit over night and cook slowly the next day. Serve over rice. Damn good!

Thanks for the response Spice 8! I have to remind myself often, to be practical, and not grow every kind of chile there is, especially when I can easily find them for sale close by. I don't remember the last time I had licorice, so I can't comment on that. They do make good seasoning for meat and stew/soup, and give a nice background "warmth" that doesn't interfere with salsas and other ingredients.

Back