Chile roasters

I roast a lot of chiles on the BBQ and for a long time now I've been considering buying or building a chile roaster to speed up the process but the shipping costs basically rule out buying right now.
I'll likely start by building a simple unit that fits on my BBQ rotisserie, there are some expensive examples on ebay & online but it seems easy enough to build.
http://www.chileroasting.com/chile_roaster_drum_for_your_barbecue-standard_model.html

Eventually I hope to build a stand-alone propane roaster much like a lottery or bingo drum, but I probably need to find some stainless steel mesh for best results, which I expect isn't cheap.
http://www.nmchili.com/chili_roasters.htm

Anybody have any experience with chile roasters or been to Hatch? I'd love to here your experiences and/or recommendations

Cool! Great idea.

Hey dude here's a DIY.

made one out of 1/4" stainless wire mesh,as most of the hatch chili rosters do. seen them every year in Denver,only thing its smaller to fit my smoker & Bar B-Q works great roast all my home grown for the last 10 years.

Freaky. Just last week this notion came to me and I started searching the web for the very same thing. Subscribed. :)

A lot of guys use expanded metal to make the cooking grates in their smoker. Couldn't you use that to make your pepper drum?

The metal/mesh whatever is not really the issue, you have to have a rotisserie to attach it to. The rest it easy.

Just make sure you use safe metals. Some will leech toxins especially when heated.

I usually buy 3 sacks, which is roughly 90 lbs. of Hatch green chile every year. Here in Cali, the Albertsons markets that carry the chiles offer free roasting. It's the best way for me to get the roasting done, I used to roast them myself, but 90 lbs. just got to be too much. Those 90 lbs. will last me 12 months, so everyone is happy. Good luck on your building a roaster.

Chile roasters are great when you have tons of chiles. Make sure you cool them down quickly when done or they will continue to cook and get mushy. Cooling with water works best and also helps peel them. If you don't over roast and cool quickly with water they, will maintain the thickest amount of wall possible. I learned the hard way long ago by having many sacks ruined by not cooling immediately after roasting.

Back