food Chile-Smothered Pork with Vinegar

Fiery-hot and one of the most authentic of the vindaloos, this version is one of my favorites. The Goan Christian community also makes this with beef, mutton, and seafood-all of which play a major role in their diet. For a more succulent experience, use bone-in pieces of chunky meat-in which case, extend the braising time and increase the amount of water to allow for a fall-off-the-bone conclusion.

I've made this twice now and have loved it both times. It was hot enough to make my scalp tingle and I broke a sweat. I doubled the amount of pork used as 1 lb isn't very much, plus it helps to cut down on the overpowering vinegar taste.

------------------

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cider vinegar or malt vinegar

1 TBSP cumin seeds

1 piece fresh ginger about 2" long and 1" diameter - roughly chopped (don't be too concerned about really chopping this up as it'll be pureed in a blender)

8 medium sized cloves garlic

8 dried red Thai or cayenne chilies, stems removed (feel free to sub in your favorite dried hot pepper here)

1 cinnamon stick (3" long)

1 lb.** boneless pork loin (or chops) cut into 1" cubes

1 tsp. coarse kosher or sea salt

1/2 tsp. ground turmeric

2 TBSP oil (your choice - I usually use Olive oil)

2 TBSP finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems for garnishing.

-----------------------

Preparation:

1. Pour the vinegar into a blender, add the cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, chilies and cinnamon stick. Puree, scraping the inside of the jar as needed, to form a pulpy gritty paste that smells potent-hot ***

2. Place the pork in a bowl and pour the paste over it. Sprinkle with the salt and turmeric, and stir it all together. Refrigerate, covered for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight, to allow the flavors to mingle.

3. Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork, marinade and all, and cook uncovered stirring occasionally. Cook until browned - 10-12 minutes. The meat will stew initially; Then once the liquid evaporates, it will sear and brown. ****

4. Pour in 1/2 cup water and scrape the bottom of the skillet to deglaze it. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender. Approximately 15 minutes.

5. Stir in the cilantro and serve with rice and/or naan.

--------------

** I used 2 lbs of boneless pork loin to help spread out the heat, to cut down on the vinegar taste, as well as to feed more people. 1 lb. would be lucky to feed an adult and small child.

*** I ground all the dry spices to a fine powder in a blade bean grinder instead of doing it in the blender. I found that I was able to get a better grind consistency on the dried spices this way. I then mixed the powder with the pureed garlic, ginger and vinegar mix in the large bowl used to marinate the meat.

**** The liquid never evaporated when I cooked this dish and didn't see the need to add the additional cup of water. Perhaps I didn't have the temperature high enough or there was extra moisture that came from the extra pound of pork I added.

-----------------

Sorry folks, no picture of this one. I just plum forgot for some reason :oops:

Neil

Better late than never huh? Just made this dish again tonight and actually remembered to take a picture.

chilismotheredporkwithvinegar.jpg

Thanks mate that seems like it would be really nice. I would substitute the thai's or cayennes with some 7-pots or congos though!

I'll have to try this :)

By all means give it a shot. Take a big sniff of the spices after you blend them up too ;). Just about make me go blind. It has a pretty good ginger taste and probably would be good with a citrusie chili. I can't wait until my Aji Lemon's start producing.

Moyboy would love it too then if you think it would go well with citrusy chillis. How about it moyboy, you wanna do a smackdown?

Back