• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chilhuacle Negro...Cascabel...color when ripe?

Can someone post an accurate photo of both the Chil-Negro, and Cascabel in their ripe stage? I'm finding a lot a photos of dried pods, but I'd like to see some ripe on the plants, if possible. Thanks. My pods are changing color, and I want to be sure I pick them at their peak of ripeness.

Chilhuacle Negro are brown,Cascabel are a dark red/Mahogany color.

My Chilhuacle Negro in the spring were thick fleshed.I just picked a couple the other day and they were thin fleshed.
I guess the early,cool weather ones must have held more water or something.Wierd.

I have am growing cascabel and they seem to have been green for a really long time, do they just go from green to mahogany color, or do they transition through other colors first?

Nope.
Didn't have a camera back then and still don't own a cell phone.
Won't own a cell until hell freezes over if I can help it.

If it takes pics for my posts to be credible/no pics not true type thing- I'll not post anymore pepper info that I don't have pics of.

Google is your friend,try Cascabel,Cascabel Bola.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/CASCABEL/productinfo/9615/

I've got some Chilhaucle Negro pods and no camera.
Want me to hold them REAL close to my monitor so you can see them. :)

Just pullin your chain.

My cameras batteries are dead and the other camera only takes smaller than 1 gig flash cards.
Don't know how to copy cards on cd's and lost too many pics on photobucket at times after I cleared cards for re use.

So I'm camera less -need rechargable battery and memory cards they don't sell anymore.
No pics until I hit up the swapmeet.Can't afford a new camera for just taking pepper pics.

I grow both. My cascabels ripened from green to dark red if i remember correctly.. The chihuacle negro ripened from green to brown and pod size varied quite a bit.

Hey smokemaster, thats pretty interesting how yours started thick skinned. All mine have been thin skinned.

ALL the ones I pick recently are thin . tough skinned with stems that need to be cut,not picked like other peppers.Pod stems are thicker than the plants branches by 2x or more.

I posted somewhere that my pods were thick fleshed earlier this year.
It must have been water retention and cool temps.
From what I pick now,the pods are the same size etc. but are thin skinned and have an almost half dried texture to the flesh.
Tastey additions to rubs or whatever.Great flavor blenders.

I never figured out Cascabel.
They are either putting out a zillion pods or just the opposite-trying to die all the time and I just get 3 pods all season.

They are so cheap in the Mex. Marts it isn't worth growing them here.
I think they go bulk for a little over a buck a LB. dried and cheaper on sale.

Yea the cascabels and guajillos are cheaper just to buy dried. I still grow both because i smoke them and use in a powder blend along with chicuacle negro and a few other mexican peppers.

I smoke the dried ones too after I clean them.

Just have to watch not to over smoke them.
They can get bitter if over smoked dry.

I think smoking dried ones is like roasting dry pods,it gets the oils out and makes them smokey tasting.

Smoking dry pods goes real fast.

Ripe Chilhuacle (chee-WAH-lee) Negro are dark brown. Think of little brown leather bell peppers.

I have a few ripe ones on a plant but it's too friggin cold out now to get a shot.

Hey ottawa, too cold to go out huh? Down here in Florida its so friggin hot, my plants are dropping a good part of their flowers. Cant wait until fall here, thats when i seem to get more pods.

Back