event Chili Cookoff report from OH

Though good chili is good chili everywhere, I wonder how our (Bubba, chili man, and the general Eastern US) chili would go over in an Ohio based cookoff. From the chili I've had from there and conversations I've had, it's a whole different ball of wax. Cooked longer so the meat is softer and with the added spice of either cinn. or nutmeg. I'm always curios how the cats and kittens from that region do at the CASI or ICS championships. I use a hint of Old Bay (huge chili man secret!'đŸ˜‰') in my red and once read a judges card that spoke of a weird flavor in mine. (ICS judges can be a bit more sticky than the CASI)

I know this post is a couple weeks old, but hey, I'm new and looking all over.

See ya!

hey keep replying... i was talking to someone the other day and chili is presented in so many ways in so many areas...i think its ohio or cincy that serves theres on spagetti?? and of course you talk about beans in texas go ahead and look for a fight.... i grew up with beans so im realy confused...lol

The Peppermaster made a chili the other day and used black beans. I can't stand kidney beans.

I don't care how the chili is made, as long as it's good and hot and covered in cheese!

The kids like smothering nachos (or broken taco shells) with the leftovers and making nachos grande in the microwave.

T

around christmas time there is this dip that is famous in this area(dont know if it is in yall's area or not) pretty much cheese melted down with sausage and salsa ...so i got a wild hair and mixed in some chili....it was pretty darn tastey...even if it was my chili and not vic's chili. :roll:

chiliman said:
From the chili I've had from there and conversations I've had, it's a whole different ball of wax. Cooked longer so the meat is softer and with the added spice of either cinn. or nutmeg. I'm always curios how the cats and kittens from that region do at the CASI or ICS championships. I use a hint of Old Bay (huge chili man secret!'đŸ˜‰') in my red and once read a judges card that spoke of a weird flavor in mine. (ICS judges can be a bit more sticky than the CASI)

Chiliman, you're referring to the Cincinnati-style chili made popular by such places as Gold Star and Skyline. Despite that, I would say that the more "traditional" style of chili is still just as popular and available to most people. While we enjoy an occasional trip to our local Skyline Chili, we'd rather have a spicy homemade bowl o' red any day.

You use Old Bay? I thought that was a Maryland thing. When we lived there, they used it in everything from crabs to chili.

- Joe

I am a huge fan of the old bay and not just in my chili. One of the main ingredients is celery salt which is also an underused salt/spice additive. Then the mixture of other junk just makes it perfect for an all around food helper. Used in the right amount can raise the flavor without giving food the crabcake flavor you might think it would.

Glad to hear that chili is chili even in the far off land of O-hi-o. [/b]

imaguitargod][quote=LinNJoe said:
While we enjoy an occasional trip to our local Skyline Chili

OMG! Skyline! Their chili dogs ROCK!!!!![/quote]

Their chili cheese fries are da bomb as well. Getting some of those along with with a 3-way chili (insert obvious pun) is one of those comfort food luxuries we allow ourselves every once in a while. :twisted:

ok correct me if im wrong....i was watching a food network thing about this the other day
3 way is spagetti noodles chili and cheese??
and 4 way the same but with beans??

whats all the combos ohioians??

i grew up with chili and beans and when i got older i like crackers but love either fritos or tortia chips....cheese of course sour cream at times.
now at times i love taking those frito dip chips or scoops and throw away the spoon.

bubbaschili said:
ok correct me if im wrong....i was watching a food network thing about this the other day
3 way is spagetti noodles chili and cheese??
and 4 way the same but with beans??

whats all the combos ohioians??

From the Skyline website...

Classic 3-Way Chili: Our signature dish…steaming spaghetti, covered with original, secret recipe Skyline Chili and topped with a mountain of shredded cheddar cheese.

4-Way Chili: A 3-Way with the addition of diced onions or red beans.

5-Way Chili: Spaghetti, chili, diced onions, red beans and mild cheddar cheese.

Back