Chili de Arbol

First, is it a true chili de arbol if the pods are upright?

Second, is it normal for the pods to begin drying on the plant within a couple days of turning red?

Any pictures of true Chili de Arbol plants/pods would be appreciated, internet searches show mixed results.

Thanks

Here's a photo. Mine are growing upright at the moment, not sure if they'll droop down later. I think there is a lot of variation within the de Arbol name, same with 'Thai peppers.'

First time grower of these. I'd imagine they would dry fairly rapidly after ripening.

de%252520Arbol%252520pods.jpg

It seems like "chile de arbol" is not necessarily a specific cultivar, but a description/name given to several chiles based on how they grow, the size of the chile, and pungency. The pepper they call a "de arbol" in a village in New Mexico is probably not the same pepper they call a "de arbol" in a village in central Mexico. However they may both have a "tree shape" plant regardless whether or not the chiles face the sky or the ground.

Anyone growing this one? What about the purple variety? Is it worth growing? I have heard that this one can get real big, and its very prolific, but I don't see a lot of info about its flavor. It appears to be well suited for making powder, but I wonder how it compares to others.

I grew this last year and the pods were pendant. They did indeed start drying on the plant fairly quickly after ripening, what was left is hanging around in simple ristras. Got my seeds from Judy.

I agree that they have a great flavor, they're one of my favorite all-purpose peppers.

Left side above the brown moruga

n10u7JAh.jpg

Looking for a plant pic

Before they ripened, but I think this is the only pic I have of the Arbols in the dirt.

GTbv2g1h.jpg

The seeds I got were from Judy.

They make a good chili powder or flake.

Tough, but thin skinned, and they dry really frigging fast. 

Not really good eating straight off the plant. The taste of mine were somewhat bitter and tangy. 

Yeah, I like them better when dried.

Mine looked like yours. The stems weren't particularly sturdy and needed support... more viney than tree-like.

synclinorium said:
Yeah, I like them better when dried.

Mine looked like yours. The stems weren't particularly sturdy and needed support... more viney than tree-like.

I had the same problem, they sagged badly.

I tried running ropes through to prop them up but once they got loaded down (and my god, did they get loaded!), all bets were off. Even staking was pointless, as the branches were themselves so long they'd just drag the ground anyway.

I gave up.

They grew.. and grew.. and produced buttloads of pods... when ripe, they'd dry on the plant and fall off on their own. I'd harvest those right off the ground, too, at least, the ones that were still intact. Birds got some of 'em. :)

Somewhere in a neighbor's yard little Arbol plants will probably sprout this spring, where the birds pooped the seeds out. (Had that happen with Yatsufusa that I grew in 2013 - come 2014, I had yatsufusa plants popping up in areas of my yard where yatsufusa had no business growing, whatsoever....)

spicymeatball said:
I grew something called Thai Dragon the past three years. The first year they were pendant but the next two years they looked like this:

WP_20130730_17_25_51_Pro__highres by JB464, on Flickr

Very similar to those arbols.

Spicymeatball

That looks like Japanese Yatsufusa.

I grew 'em back in 2013, will grow them again this year. 

0E3xKCdh.jpg

Side angle on the yatsufusa

ynVKmF8h.jpg

Very pretty plant.

Back