• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Chili Pepper Bibliography?

Hi, everyone.

I was wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a few books (good reads) with regards to chili and pepper plants in general. I'm not so much talking about how to grow them (although that may be some aspect of the book), but rather things like the histories of various chili plants, the various cultures that have grown around them, the spread via trade, global industries etc... Hell, even cook books!

It's fantastic to be able to check out a forum and hear from people all over the globe, but it's a very different warmth that can be got from reading a few chapters of a good book before going to sleep. 

I would love to be reading a very in-depth book about the history of growing chili plants in Peru for some reason, or a book with a title like "101 Chili Plants: Their History and Cultural Relevance"... but one that is actually very informative. Or maybe New Mexico University have a decent book out.

I skimmed on Amazon, but I'd rather ask you folks first, so any initial good reading suggestions would be very much appreciated. :)

P.S. Maybe the forum bosses would consider a bibliography "sticky", where users could suggest and review (or give an overview) of the titles out there?

Regards

woodlouse said:
Hi, everyone.

I was wondering if you guys might be able to recommend a few books (good reads) with regards to chili and pepper plants in general. I'm not so much talking about how to grow them (although that may be some aspect of the book), but rather things like the histories of various chili plants, the various cultures that have grown around them, the spread via trade, global industries etc... Hell, even cook books!

It's fantastic to be able to check out a forum and hear from people all over the globe, but it's a very different warmth that can be got from reading a few chapters of a good book before going to sleep. 

I would love to be reading a very in-depth book about the history of growing chili plants in Peru for some reason, or a book with a title like "101 Chili Plants: Their History and Cultural Relevance"... but one that is actually very informative. Or maybe New Mexico University have a decent book out.

I skimmed on Amazon, but I'd rather ask you folks first, so any initial good reading suggestions would be very much appreciated. :)

P.S. Maybe the forum bosses would consider a bibliography "sticky", where users could suggest and review (or give an overview) of the titles out there?

Regards

A bit of searching turned up:

Pepper Growing Book "The Pepper Garden" DeWitt and Bosland
The Complete Chile Pepper Book
Definitive - Hot Peppers Book
New Chile Book coming!
seed starting book

PS Very unlikely any "sticky" will be forthcoming.

Back