• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chili pepper shapes, and hottness

I was curious if anyone has any information on the corrilation between chili pepper shape/skin texture and their level of hotness. For example, I have noticed that most of the hottest peppers in the world, (naga, bhut, carolina reaper, scorpion) all have very bumpy, blistered, wrinkly skin. I was wondering if blistered bumpy skin i any kind of indication of the hotness of peppers? I have read posts about people compaining when they grow bhut jolokia peppers that turn out to not be very hot. I know that tempurature and other aspects effect heat levels, but when i looked at pictures of there bhuts, hey were rather smooth compared to most of the really bumpy blisterd bhutes I have seen. Any thoughts?

the bumpier ones tend to be hotter, but it's not 100% true that bumpier skin = hotter pepper

that said, there's a lot of variations and you won't really know what you'll end up with with the rarer peppers until your plants actually start developing them

here are a few examples

barrackpore%207.jpg

lots%20of%20barrackpore.jpg

bumpy%20white%20bhut.jpg

white%20bhut.jpg

smooth%20peach%20bhut.jpg

bumpy%20peach%20bhut.jpg

chocolate%20bhut.jpg

chocolate bhuts are pretty much always bumpy can't find any smooth ones

Im hoping this is true indeed.. Im growing bhut jolokia peppers for the first time, here in hawaii, and i must say the pepper plants are just going crazy. They are growing sooo fast and big i dont even know what to do! lol. I have about 4 inch long green bhuts already, and they are very very bumpy and wrinkled, So I was hoping they would be really hot! Im also growing 7 other kinds of chili's in my garden as well, most are doing very well here in this weather.

ustestheusless said:
Im hoping this is true indeed.. Im growing bhut jolokia peppers for the first time, here in hawaii, and i must say the pepper plants are just going crazy. They are growing sooo fast and big i dont even know what to do! lol. I have about 4 inch long green bhuts already, and they are very very bumpy and wrinkled, So I was hoping they would be really hot! Im also growing 7 other kinds of chili's in my garden as well, most are doing very well here in this weather.

Hold back on watering as much as you can without hurting them. This will stress the peppers and help make them hotter.
And best of luck on the grow!

Phil said:

Hold back on watering as much as you can without hurting them. This will stress the peppers and help make them hotter.

And best of luck on the grow!
i read on your profile that you are growing quite a bit of peppers as well. any recipes for bhut hot sauce? Im really intrested in creating my own signature hot sauce, hopfully using bhuts. I make damd good ceyanne pepper sauce similar to franks red hot, but now im going to branch out. any suggestions? BTW I hate sweetness in my hot sauces..no sugar, fruit, or honey..

ustestheusless said:
i read on your profile that you are growing quite a bit of peppers as well. any recipes for bhut hot sauce? Im really intrested in creating my own signature hot sauce, hopfully using bhuts. I make damd good ceyanne pepper sauce similar to franks red hot, but now im going to branch out. any suggestions? BTW I hate sweetness in my hot sauces..no sugar, fruit, or honey..
I wish I had some info to pass on to you on the bhut sauce, but I haven't had any experience with those yet. This is my first year growing them.

The one thing I can offer is to pretty much stick with what you know and make the bhut sauce similar to your cayenne sauce.

Last year I tried to put too many ingredients in my hab sauces and they just ended up tasting jumbled up. This year I'm going to take a different approach and let the flavor of the pepper come through up front. Minimal ingredients.

Let me know if you stumble on anything great!

Back