• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Chili powder recipe

Does anyone have a general-purpose chili powder recipe they'd mind sharing? I know there's loads of them on the Google, but most sound kinda bland. I know I could just wing one from existing recipes, but I'm hoping someone's got a "tried and true" for my experimentation.

Thanks!

What do you mean exactly? It's just ground peppers, so choose the pepper you like. There is no recipe for that. Some supermarket brands are blends, is that what you are after? OR are you looking for seasoning for chili the meal? As in a pot of chili?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27210-some-powder-mixes-for-sale/

Try wayright, he has some very tasty powders and Hot Salt.

LOL, let me clarify... CHILI powder, not CHILE powder. :P I now realize that since this truly is a global forum, the minute spelling difference is probably lost. I'm talking about a seasoning mix for CHILI (the meat stew), not just ground chiles. Whenever I make chili, I usually end up haphazardly chucking various chile powders, cumin, garlic powder, etc. until it tastes right to me. The only problem is, this is really inconsistent, and no two batches of chili are anywhere near the same. I've tried a couple of basic mixes I've rustled up online, but they end up lacking something, and I just throw stuff in till it's good anyways! I have a feeling I'm not understanding something about ratios, or special ingredients, or whatever. I'm just looking for someone's good baseline that I can just make minor adjustments to.

Well chili is also the pepper so.... :)

Now I get it. Chili seasoning/mix. Cool.

I don't like to "over cumin" even though some consider cumin to be the essential chili spice. However I like to toast cumin seeds to draw out the oils and then pulverize into powder instead of using ground cumin. You get a nice, nutty flavor this way. Goes well with the other chili essentials, like cocoa, etc.

You can't go wrong with Alton Brown's. Adjust the pod types accordingly.

Ingredients:

3 ancho chiles,stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Instructions:

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Sounds like a good starting point for sure.

Possibly stupid newbie question:
With a recipe like the one above, am I better off just adding a hab or two, or do I need to replace another pod with them? If replacement is needed, which one?

All dried Chiles:

3 Pasilla Ancho
3 Pasilla Negro
6 California
3 New Mexico
6 Guajillo
2 Habaneros

Toast lightly in the oven at 225º for about 15-25 minutes.

In your grinder add 1-2 TBS Toasted Cumin and 1-2 TBS Granulated Garlic.
Deseed and stem the toasted Chiles, and grind all together.

There is no science or strict recipe. You just need a jumping off point. Add more Habs if you want, or less Guajillos.
Sometimes I'll be out of a certain Chile... oh well. Make it anyway. Write down what you do so the next time you make it,
you can tweak it as you like.

Possibly stupid newbie question:
With a recipe like the one above, am I better off just adding a hab or two, or do I need to replace another pod with them? If replacement is needed, which one?

No replacing! just add however many Habs you want. Carefull with Super-Hots tho, they can change the flavor dramatically from,
"Toasted Chile" flavor to more fruity.

Don't be too critical with the recipe, you can't screw it up. Just pour a shot of Tequila and have fun with it!

IMHO...

Back