• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Chili Rayado from La Misión in the state of Hidalgo

Pretty sure those seeds are in good hands D3monic haha. Next time my friends travels into Mexico, I will ask him to run it by the farmers to see if the can grab some seeds. His entire family down there are pretty much ranchers/farmers. If we can get a hold of some I will kick some out.

frdlturner said:
My friend that I mention here is sending me some seeds going to grow out to share

Count me in! :) Would love to buy or trade too!

wondering if this pepper is controlled  by the Chiagro company owned by Agro Negrocios based in Brazil like the peppedew  pepper in Africa since when searching for Chili Rayado they keep popping up
here is a quote from their site    http://www.chiagro.com/  

Variedad de Chile rayado marca Chiagro®
¡El auténtico chile rayado!

here are some pictures of their products

chiagro-promo_zpsjpepnejt.png

chile-empaque_zpsjxwhx6fh.png

chile-empaque2_zpswo2v3xhs.png

I know Fred got seed and I have since sent seed to a number of members of this website. There's some great info in this thread!

One of the things I noticed, living in Mexico for 14 years, was that most Mexicans, especially the rural and ESPECIALLY the indigenous, see "variety" very differently than do those of European extraction. For instance, when going through the market I was always on the look out for unique kinds of food crops. I especially frequented the part of the market where the indigenous folk would set up and sell from their own ranchos. One time, I looked at a tomato someone was offering and asked, "¿Qué clase de jitomate es?" (What kind of tomato is this?) The lady looked at me quizzically and responded "Es jitomate de bola." (It's a round tomato.). So I tried again: "¿Qué variedad es? (What variety is it?). She looked at me as if she was thinking "This guy's Spanish isn't working very well" and she said...very...slowly..."Es jitomate rojo y de forma de bola." (It's a red, round tomato.) Rural Mexicans don't divide varieties up the way we do. So I would expect that there would be a spectrum of chiles with similar, yet different traits; just like there is with the native lowland squash, calabaza de castilla.

I have friends all over the Huesteca region. I know they have Chile Rayado in the States of San Luis Potosí and Veracruz, all in areas which are not that far from La Misión. I visited in Cerro Prieto, which was right next to La Mision, perhaps just a neighborhood belonging to it. I also visited in Pisaflores and Cuesta Colorada; all close by.

Here are two pictures I took in Cuesta Colorada.
This is still fairly high up there in altitude. I didn't see any  coffee growing here (too cold in the winter).
view-fm-Cerro-P2.jpg

The scenery was wonderful! The people were even better. 

juan_kit_8_20_00.jpg

This is a photo from around 2000, of Brother Juan, the patriarch of a family group I often visited. He was sitting in his kitchen. When he was a young man he dismantled an older house and carried those timbers to its present location. They were over 100 years old when I took the picture.

My image hosting had a glitch. If anyone cannot see the two photos I included in the post above, please let me know.

Back