• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Chili seedlings falling over

I started off with about twenty various han, scorpion, and ghost seedlings. Many are starting to shrivel up and fall over. I have them about two feet from a 250 watt metal halide bulb. I will try to post pics from my iPod. My Han that I started earlier are about ten inches tall and doing pretty well. Maybe one of you chili heads can help

If there falling over it could be that the light is possibly to far away or maybe over watering is my best guess w/out any pics!

bth_014.jpg
bth_015.jpg
bth_016.jpg

Ghost plants doing ok. I pruned them this fall and they are doing awesome
bth_013.jpg

Young hab and a pararu(sp?)
Just transplanted and doing pretty good
bth_017.jpg

The seedlings could be damping off. Are there holes in the bottom of the cups. If not the soil can have a moisture issue and mold can form...

There are holes but I will cut back watering. The grow area has a force air heater with a thermostats set at 75 F. I thought it might have been over watering. Hope at least one chocolate hab makes it

damping off is a bitch. watering from the bottom with seedlings is a must, until they get to a decent size; then you can water from the top.

+1 on watering from the bottom and not too much.

Damping off symptom is the stem right where it meets the soil will shrivel up and the seedling will fall over even though the rest of it looks healthy. To prevent it make sure the surface of the soil does not stay wet 100% of the time. If you are indoors especially, there is no need to keep it wet all the way to the surface since the evaporative losses are pretty minimal. Remember, the little root goes down about as much as the seedling sticks up.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Anyone have experIence growing with metal halide[/background]

IMHO, HPS provides more light and warmth. I have a MH bulb that I use as a backup if the HPS burns out ( can happen in a month or two with cheap bulbs) but the plants seem happier under HPS.

When I have the MH bulb running, I have to be much more careful of watering because there is less heat to evaporate the water and it is very easy to get damping off or root rot. Been there done that.

For my 600 watt setup, I get about 100,000 lumens with HPS and 60,000 with MH. About 3 or 4 degrees warmer in my little room with HPS as well.

Thanks a lot that helPs. I might have to invest in a hps, how close would you have them to a 250 mh. I have my chamber in the cold garage so too much heat is never an issue. The heater runs often

I can keep my 250 HPS about 6-10 inches from the canopy, but in the summer I put it in an air cooled reflector and can literally drop it right into the canopy.

Back