• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Chilli-Con-Carne

Hi all,

Ran out of chilli the other day so had to make up a new batch and thought I'd share the recipe since it with you all. It's been well received when sharing it with friends. This meal actually is what got me interested in cooking with fire, and growing chillis so it has a special place in my heart. Additionally, if you only know one recipe, I think everyone should know how to cook a spicy chilli.

Ingredients:

2kg of Beef Mince (course ground is best - I didnt have that this time).
2 x 400g tinned black beans (drained)
2 x 400g cans of crushed tomatoes
2 x 230g Chipoltes in Adobo Sauce
200g x standard habaneros (these form the chili base)
2 x California Reapers (substitute for whatever level of heat you want)
2 x red onions
1 x medium head of garlic
2 x beef stock cubes + 1 x chicken stock cubes (not sure what brand everyone uses, I find the brand I have on beef requires 2 whilst the chicken seems to have more flavour)
4 x bay leaves
2 x heaped tablespoons of cumin
2 x heaped tablespoons of smoked sweet paprika
4 x heaped tablespoons of fresh chilli powder (I hand grind mine from a blend of habanero, guajillo, new mexico, ancho, pasilla, mulato - this is personal preference to the blend that you make. I buy a very large volume and grind a kilo at a time and store in the freezer. Don't use store bought chilli powder if it has additives like salt, garlic powder. Make your own and benefit from the high quality!).
1 x teaspoon of cinnamon
2 shots of espresso (125 mls from our coffee machine)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
salt to taste
Small amount of olive oil for frying

1) Prepare all ingredients - I find it much easier to have everything out and just multitask. Nothing worse then having to stop cooking and fiddle around with everything.

VDKL5Bk.jpg

pipSHve.jpg

2) Start browning the mince (I brown in 500g batches in a pan and add to a larger pot as we're going to make alot of chilli). Whilst we're browning the first batch of meat, fry off the onion, garlic and chilli in a little bit of olive oil (couple of lugs). Depending on the spice level of the chilli make sure you have windows and doors open the fumes can get a bit much for some people.

JTdQCTk.jpg

zXdfvor.jpg

IYaNJnd.jpg

3) When you're first batch of meat is about half way done browning, add all your dry spices (chilli powder, cumin, cinnamon, paprika) to your fried off onion, garlic and habanero/reapers . We then want to fry the spices for about thirty - fourty seconds. We dont want the spices to burn. As soon as this is done, add your first batch of meat to the mix, add your second batch of meat to the pan to brown, and then stir the browned meat through the onion, garlic, chilli and spice mix. This will prevent the spices burning.

ioSQTee.jpg

V9mnyZs.jpg

4) Keep browning and adding the meat until you've added all 2 kgs to the bigger pot. As you're browning, keep stirring the new batches in and continually stirring as you go.

IwFTOAP.jpg

5) With your fresh espresso, add your beef and chicken stock and a little bit of boiling water to help it dissolve (I usually add around 100 mls). Stir this in a container until all dissolved.

AzZNiIv.jpg

6) Deglaze the pan with this liquid that you just made, and when finished poor it into your chilli and stir through.

6QC5U6f.jpg

7) Add your beans and tomatos and then stir through. Add your chipolte and stir through. Add your brown sugar and bay leaves and stir through. Salt to taste.

OnTtJAo.jpg

ZB7XEdB.jpg

yOpp6X2.jpg

8) Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer for an hour. At the end check for additional salt and or spices. Occasionally I will add extra toasted cumin, or extra salt if it requires. 

9) A good chilli shouldn't be liquid and you should be able to stand your spoon up straight in it. If you can't boil off a little bit more liquid.

cmA6Tqo.jpg

10) Reap the rewards, I pulled six double serves for myself out (around a months worth since I generally eat it every weekend) and two extra half portions (with rice) for two co-workers who are as addicted as I am.

VpePAF0.jpg

11) Lastly, tidy up so your spouse doesnt have shards of chilli on benches.

This is my first attempt at explaining how I cook this - hope a couple of people are inspired to have a shot a hot chilli.

Side note - this is absolutely heaven on salted crackers (saltene / saladas). You can serve with lettuce / salsa / guacamole and rice or corn chips. Sometimes I have it neat with nothing but a bread roll and a cider.

Cheers,

Sev

Looking good Sev!..... i like everything you have done there  :P

Where do you buy the chillies for your powder blend?

Reactions: Sev
I really dig your recipe.  I've never tried espresso in Chili before, but i might give it a go.  It blows my mind just how many different variations of this traditional Tejano dish have popped up all around the world; your Australian one isn't too far off from my Mid-Atlantic US stuff.... except, of course, i use WAY more garlic than you do....

Reactions: Sev
Thanks everyone - hope you go and cook yourself some chilli now :)

Tinnie said:
Looking good Sev!..... i like everything you have done there  :P

Where do you buy the chillies for your powder blend?

Hey Tinnie - I get them from Herbies Spices (http://www.herbies.com.au/). I just do an online order and get them delivered. I buy enough to mix up around a kilo, and just keep it frozen. That lasts me around six-eight months depending how much I use it. Much better flavour then the little glass jars each time. I did some research on the flavours of each type, and picked ones that sounded interesting. I try and use an equal mix of each. Experimentation is the best way to find the flavours that work best for you.

Pepperhead1989 said:
I'm sure some people think this is a lot of work. Honestly it is a lot less work due to you having this prepared when you need it. Great batch processing!

Thanks Pepper. Learnt from my wife :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the recipe. I'll copy it down. It's getting colder around here.

No problems OCD - let me know how you go.

Bicycle808 said:
I really dig your recipe.  I've never tried espresso in Chili before, but i might give it a go.  It blows my mind just how many different variations of this traditional Tejano dish have popped up all around the world; your Australian one isn't too far off from my Mid-Atlantic US stuff.... except, of course, i use WAY more garlic than you do....

Wow - I thought using 1 head of garlic was lots - how much are you putting in yours? I agree, the amount of different takes on the chilli recipe are amazing. I thoroughly recommend reading "A bowl of red" just an interesting history on chilli. Made me appreciate the food even more.

Good cooking all!

Cheers,

Sev

2kg of beef = 4.2lbs, right?  I'd probably go 18 cloves, which would be one and a half "heads," in a batch with 4lbs.  So, maybe 20 cloves in 2kg? I'm from South Jersey, USA--- we go pretty danged hard on the garlic, round here.  So, you're probably good doing what you do, now that i think about it.

PS- gonna check out "A Bowl of Red" ASAFP.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

That looks awesome, and oh so tasty. I've never made chilli before, I just may have to give this a go.

Back