• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chilli ID

I bought 2 bags of chillis from my local East Indian grocery store, the first bag has round, dried chillis from Pakistan, the clear bag was marked Round Chilli with black marker. The second bag resembles ceyenne but the old East Indian lady insisted they were not ceyenne, they too are dried but Ravi Brand and are from India - bag says red chillii without stems. The round ones have some heat probably equivalent to ceyenne, I haven't tried the long red ones yet.

Would anyone like to help id these to peppers? (I bought them for their seeds, to add to my varieties and have made power out of the round ones).

And now for a worthless fact: the coins are a Canadian 10 cent piece, we call them dimes, because Canada is part of the Commonwealth, Queen Elizabeth's face dawns the front and a 1930's champion schooner "old Bluenose" coats the back.

HPIM1818.jpg

HPIM1819.jpg

The bottom ones almost seem like the "finger hot" peppers or whatever they are called. Indian dishes use those a lot i think.

The top....well there is a pepper called the pakistan chunky chili that is popular....well according to a website i looked at. Those might be too small.....man i wasn't much help.

Top look like Dundicut

I checked g6csy and I think you hit a home run on this one: "Developed and grown in the Tharparkar region of Sindh, Pakistan. Pods range from spherical to teardrop shaped and average 1 inch in diameter. Strong fruity aroma, ripening to a deep ruby red colour. This pepper is commercially cultivated in Pakistan and is considered indispensable for many dishes. Heat is highly variable (about level 7) and ranges from 50,000 up to 150,000 SHU. (Capsicum annuum)". Assuming the seeds are any good this would look nice on the deck. The grounded product definitely has a nice, unique aroma and the powder is like the dried fruit, a light acorn colour............. never thought I would own an indispensable pepper.

Just ground up the long red and they are bountiful with seeds - have enough for a life time. Ground up to dark red in colour and I haven't figured out the smell yet, not like my ceyenne, super chili mix that ground up bright red and has a bell red pepper smell. Didn't taste like ceyenne at all, heat level similar to ceyenne. I think it maybe easier to identify this pepper once I get a plant growing and see the plant and live fruit - my guess some form of annuum.

The bottom ones almost seem like the "finger hot" peppers or whatever they are called. Indian dishes use those a lot i think.
The top....well there is a pepper called the pakistan chunky chili that is popular....well according to a website i looked at. Those might be too small.....man i wasn't much help

That's about as close as Neptune is to Earth. I labeled my seeds "round chilli from pakistan" and the other "red chilli from India"

So, I think the first picture is definitely dundicut and I have sucessfully sprouted 1 seed, the other I believe is guntur sannam ( a common pepper in India, and I am basing my opinion on pictures of other pods that look similar) - several have sprouted.

Back