• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Chilli Pepper Company's Dragons Breath

This is the second of three review sauces I have been sent by The Chilli Pepper Company, one of the co-producers of Hell Unleashed, all of which I will be writing about in the coming month. Please check my blog for updates each tuesday.

As for Hell Unleashed, my original informal review of that can be found here. It wasn't exactly the best first impression of a company but hey, if they're prepared to send me stuff then I'm prepared to give them a second chance. Here goes:

Another tuesday, another sauce review, welcome back to my Chilli Pepper Company month.
Today I have for you their Dragons Breath, missing apostrophe and all. It too claims to be a “very hot” sauce but we'll soon see if it compares to the amazing Ball Breaker.
First off though, the packaging. Let's get a good look at that.

2016-06-02-13-25-30.jpg

Again we see their logo in purple on a bold-coloured cracked earth background. Again the name is in scuffed white lettering, all caps with a very effective black outline and shadowing. But no more little imagery. No, all that's unique to this sauce's packaging is the blue colouration and the words “Caribbean Style”.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed as, while the blue does contrast well with the light, bright and mustard coloured sauce, it doesn't really tell us anything about the flavour.
It's still well printed and it's still simple and elegant but it doesn't give any real character to the product, which is a shame.

But first impressions aren't everything and it's what's inside that really counts.

2016-06-02-13-26-40.jpg

First off, this is an awful lot more liquid than the last sauce I showed you. This isn't a spreading or dabbing sauce but a dip, glaze or marinade. And that's what it's intended for, with chicken or lamb.
Flavourwise, it strikes me as mainly apple and mustard, cooking apple perhaps because, while not exactly sour, the taste is a little tart still. In fact, it's a lot like a more natural version of “sour apple” flavouring. But, of course, that's not the only flavour to it, the onion, basil and thyme all come through and, despite there being none in here, I can definitely see where the makers were coming from when they described it as tasting of mango. The actual ingredients do indeed combine to give it a smooth, almost fragrant flavour that is quite reminiscent of the fruit.

And then there's the citrus tones. These aren't just from the lemon juice content though. No, as is sometimes the case with ghost pepper sauces, this one also picks up some lemon-esque flavour from its signature chilli.

So, with 25% ghost pepper content, you'd think this “very hot” sauce would rival the Ball Breaker in heat, right? Wrong. For some reason I can't get my head around, this sauce is milder than even the 2% ghost stuff I've tried. It's not super hot. It's not even hot. The long, slow build is definitely that of the bhut jolokia but the peak it reaches is a decidedly medium

[SIZE=300%]2.5/10[/SIZE]

Not a bad heat per se and great for the enjoyment of the general public but far less than I expected for something labelled the same as the last sauce I reviewed.

This is a sauce almost anyone could enjoy, not a sauce for those with extreme heat tolerances, and, while it's by no means a bad one, I can't really see why Dragons Breath would be the Chilli Pepper Company's best seller as their website claims.
If you're a mustard lover then this is a great little sauce but, if you're more indifferent like me, it's not really a must buy like the Ball Breaker was.

Back