• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chilli pepper ID

I have bought Trinidad Moruga Scorpion last year - I'm not sure if it was indeed real deal. As far as I know, trinidad scorpions are stable and will give you scorpions if you plant their seeds the next season. Well, not happened to me. Looks like I received F1 version of Moruga (if it even was labeled correctly) and now I have whole bunch of peppers that are completely different with substantial different foliage and pods.
I'm trying to determine parents, because I have a bush that is vigorous as hell - producing extremely large pods in unnatuaral quantity. :P

One will most likely come out white (super-pale green unripe chillies) or yellow, others will be red. At least I think so, based on their red self pollinated parent.

What do these look like to you guys? That's the same plant. It's filled with new pods (1st pic) and those that are ripening for a couple of weeks and seem to be at their full size and will only gain in strength and color (2. and 3rd pic). Leaves are dark green and thicker than any other from the same batch of seeds.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

edit: tried to post images from google, but it's not allowed, so I'll just add the links. I intend to gather all the data about all the versions I received from the seeds and further stabilize seedlings that might be interesting enough to do so.

your right about them not being a moruga I'd say to that they had crossed what with its impossible to say just what they crossed with,  
I would let them turn ripe and eat one, who knows it might be a winner taste wise. The Moruga scorpion was once called the Moruga blend and often you would get some different shapes despite it being a supposedly a stable cross, so who knows you might even have a throwback.

Those are awesome looking pods, but no idea what they can even be. You gotta do a taste test once they ripen.

Veterans? Can you help this guy out, I'll be interested in what others have to say about these.

I'll wait till they are ripe. Like I said, none of the peppers is identical, heck, they are not even similar to each other. Just for comparison, this is their mother from last year. I used these pods to get the seeds and received a whole bunch of varieties. The one I'm particularly interested in is the one on pictures in first post. It's heavy producer and it's pods are like three times larger than last year. If they keep their strength and retain their fruity taste (whole room smelled like... mmmm when I picked them last year), I'll breed them further. I'm writing a post on my blog in which I'll try to get all the visual details of all the plants and their fruits together. By comparing the output, I'm sure veterans on this website will be able to decode the input. :)

moruga-ripe-300x225.jpg

Tarzan said:
I'll wait till they are ripe. Like I said, none of the peppers is identical, heck, they are not even similar to each other. Just for comparison, this is their mother from last year. I used these pods to get the seeds and received a whole bunch of varieties. The one I'm particularly interested in is the one on pictures in first post. It's heavy producer and it's pods are like three times larger than last year. If they keep their strength and retain their fruity taste (whole room smelled like... mmmm when I picked them last year), I'll breed them further. I'm writing a post on my blog in which I'll try to get all the visual details of all the plants and their fruits together. By comparing the output, I'm sure veterans on this website will be able to decode the input. :)

moruga-ripe-300x225.jpg
Tarzan, those aren't moruga scorpions. These are:

I figured out they were different, but I was not sure, because we've had very wet year with almost no sun and with relatively cold weather. I was thinking they just couldn't grow well enough to have all the characteristics. I know now how silly that was, but they did seem close enough. Well I'm now certain they are product of crossing at least two different chilli varieties. Most likely one parent was Moruga scorpion, since there is some resemblance and the seller might have thought he was selling self pollinated seeds from moruga mother plant. It's all just a speculation. They did have less bumpy texture than those on your photo but overall, the looked similar. Funny thing is, I'm seeing that rough texture on some plants now, and some are glossy with less bumps, bit like those fake scorpions from last year.  :P

This year we have much hotter year, with very dry weather, which is the opposite from last year. It started to cool off y bit and peppers started to set new set of pods, this time there seem to be much more fruits. Can't wait to see the result. 

Well, Here are some photos I took today. The large ones seem to  be getting their red color finally.

Plant 1

1.jpg

3.jpg

Plant 2

2.jpg

4.jpg

Plant 3 - You've seen it before already :)

5.jpg

Other plants look almost like the mother plant or haven't set pods yet, because of slugs that finished them off in the most critical moments in early summer. All grow fast now and are flowering.

Like I mentioned before, they look like if I used different seeds, not the seeds of the same motherplant. I think that 1 plant has the scorpid tail and is going to be yellow or even white.  :hell:

first one finally ripe. It's not red, it ended up orange. Next in line for ripening are the large ones that might be bhut jolokia cross regression, because of it's pod size. 

orange-chili.jpg

Back